Spindle lock

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: My Novamill, bought in Nov 11 without electronics, is now up and running under Mach3 with a home-build control box. I'm very pleased with the machine, only project so far is correcting a cheap small machine vice originally bought for a vertical slide to use on the machine - not a right-angle in it when bought!

Spindle lock

Post by JohnHaine » Thu 19 Apr , 2012 9:20 am

The other night I was in the process of referencing a piece of work using a wobbler, found that the collet chuck drawbar was only hand tight so applied a couple of wrenches to tighten it, then found that the spindle was seized solid! Groan, sigh, switched everything off (and yes, the spindle drive was switched off when I was tightening the drawbar), whereupon the spindle was magically free again. Has anyone met this problem, know a cause, please?

John.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Spindle lock

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 20 Apr , 2012 13:49 pm

We can't think of any reason for this at all.
The spindle drive/motor couldn't hold the spindle in place anyway - it's not closed loop control or anything like that (unless you've changed the original)
The manual drawbar (if that's what you have) pulls the toolholder up tight but has no mechanical effect on the body of the spindle or its bearings.
So we're a bit :?

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: My Novamill, bought in Nov 11 without electronics, is now up and running under Mach3 with a home-build control box. I'm very pleased with the machine, only project so far is correcting a cheap small machine vice originally bought for a vertical slide to use on the machine - not a right-angle in it when bought!

Re: Spindle lock

Post by JohnHaine » Fri 20 Apr , 2012 15:13 pm

OK, thanks for thinking about this...I'll watch out for it happening again.

John.