novamill, help needed (serial cable)

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

stevo

novamill, help needed (serial cable)

Post by stevo » Fri 27 Jan , 2012 17:37 pm

hi

i have a novamill 1999 model, has a v2.1 eprom fitted, has a long serial cable from the control box with yellow label with ibm printed on it, i am attempting to use a toshiba laptop with a 9 pin serial port , i have bought a 25 pin to 9 pin adaptor to couple with cable and i am getting error 128 ,when i attempt to connect with dos milling program, would i be better buying this cable -http://www.lindy.co.uk/shop/showProduct ... rce=search or better off with another PC, i have also edited the go file for qwerty keyboard,as i do not have a novamill keyboard, any advice as i am stuck at moment,

stevo

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: My Novamill, bought in Nov 11 without electronics, is now up and running under Mach3 with a home-build control box. I'm very pleased with the machine, only project so far is correcting a cheap small machine vice originally bought for a vertical slide to use on the machine - not a right-angle in it when bought!

Re: novamill, help needed

Post by JohnHaine » Mon 06 Feb , 2012 20:36 pm

Having bought an ex-school Novamill without electronics which I have converted to MAch3 I have a spare cable...if you are interested you are welcome to it if you pay postage / collect?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 06 Feb , 2012 23:41 pm

Hi Stevo,

The link you have posted is for a 9 to 25 way converter & not a RS232 lead. You would then need a 25 way to 25 way RS232 lead to connect between the end of this lead & the machine.

Croy
Hardware/Software: Standard Modern 1334 Lathe
Bridgeport Mill
Still trying to find time to learn BobCad
Interested in helping others with their Electronics needs.

Post by Croy » Tue 07 Feb , 2012 8:20 am

Hi Stevo,

Have a look through this site, there are connection details for 9 to 25 pin for RS232.

http://www.arcelect.com/rs232.htm

you also need to make sure both machines are setup correctly i.e. 8bit, 1stop, even parity.

try use a telnet to monitor the com port then you will very quickly see if data is moving/trying to move via serial.

You can make an easy loop-back (9-Pin connector short pins 2 to 3) to test the com ports.

stevo

Post by stevo » Tue 07 Feb , 2012 18:56 pm

Having bought an ex-school Novamill without electronics which I have converted to MAch3 I have a spare cable...if you are interested you are welcome to it if you pay postage / collect
Hi
i have the long 25 pin to 25pin rs232 cable that runs from control box to a computer, i need a 25pin to 9 pin link cable, is that what you have ?

steve

Hi Stevo,

The link you have posted is for a 9 to 25 way converter & not a RS232 lead. You would then need a 25 way to 25 way RS232 lead to connect between the end of this lead & the machine.
hi, as above m8, i have the long rs232 cable, i just need a link cable, 25 pin to 9 pin for the 9 pin laptop port

steve

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 09 Feb , 2012 17:13 pm

If the 25-25 cable is the original supplied one, then any 25-9 way cable adaptor will work ok.
eg : http://www.lindy.co.uk/serial-adapter-2 ... 70096.html
Just make sure it dosn't mention crossover or does say 1:1 or pin to pin.

stevo

Post by stevo » Fri 10 Feb , 2012 18:46 pm

hi

ok , thanks for the info guys, have now managed to get machine connected to the mill, as the letter 8 is showing on LED inside control box, am still struggling getting the laptop talking to control box in DOS, i have novamill on a floppy , could it be 1 of 3 things ?? a dongle required ,as it looks like pc is going to connect to control box when it says rs232 connected then drops out with error 128 , serial cable faulty, or eprom ver 2.1 not liking the dos software ?? am thinking of making a 9pin to 9 pin cable and connecting directly to the baldor as this post

viewtopic.php?t=231

stevo

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 10 Feb , 2012 21:07 pm

If you have a V2.1 Eprom then the Dos software will never connect. The V2.1 Eprom will only work with VRMilling version 2 or 5.

stevo

Post by stevo » Fri 10 Feb , 2012 21:22 pm

If you have a V2.1 Eprom then the Dos software will never connect. The V2.1 Eprom will only work with VRMilling version 2 or 5.
thanks , just as i suspected but needed it in print from someone who knows, now i can move onto sourcing software from yourselves

stevo