Novamill Column Raising Block

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

flyingmike
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Novamill Column Raising Block

Post by flyingmike » Wed 11 Jan , 2012 20:46 pm

For anyone that might want to raise the column of their novamill here is the drawing I did for mine, it might come in usefull.

Mike
Attachments
Spacer.PDF
(69.85 KiB) Downloaded 1320 times

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Re: Novamill Column Raising Block

Post by angel-tech » Thu 12 Jan , 2012 0:43 am

nice one Mike.

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: My Novamill, bought in Nov 11 without electronics, is now up and running under Mach3 with a home-build control box. I'm very pleased with the machine, only project so far is correcting a cheap small machine vice originally bought for a vertical slide to use on the machine - not a right-angle in it when bought!

Post by JohnHaine » Mon 16 Jan , 2012 21:51 pm

Was this machined from solid please? Is it within the capability of the novamill itself?

John.

flyingmike
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by flyingmike » Mon 16 Jan , 2012 22:10 pm

Hi John,

It was indeed machined from a huge block of cast iron.

Even though the novamill is capable of machining this material and the accuracy required the block is far too big for the travel available. You would have to split it up and bolt it together but you would have to be carefull you maintain your flatness.

Mike

A Chappel
Hardware/Software: Novamill V2.1/b6 eprom

Post by A Chappel » Wed 18 Jan , 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks Mike, I´ll let you know if I manage to get it done on mine.

Ben L
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Novamill - Mach 3

Post by Ben L » Mon 14 Nov , 2016 7:55 am

This is something id like to do at some point.
Can the hood be refitted to accommodate the extra height? It would be nice to keep it.

Edit: After taking a look at the drawing, I asked my local machine shop to give me an estimate, they've come back with £500 for set up and machining. does that sound about right? i was hoping for more like £2 - 300

flyingmike
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by flyingmike » Mon 14 Nov , 2016 20:15 pm

Hi Ben,

I paid £90 for the material and I would expect about £250 for machining given there aren't many tight tolerance dimensions, might be worth contacting more of a jobbing shop? Plus its a one off job.
When I enquired about getting it made I couldn't find anyone that wanted to take on cast iron so I made it myself in the end.

I redrilled the holes in the cabinet sides to raise the perspex top up to clear the column.

Ben L
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Ben L » Tue 15 Nov , 2016 0:37 am

flyingmike wrote:Hi Ben,

I paid £90 for the material and I would expect about £250 for machining given there aren't many tight tolerance dimensions, might be worth contacting more of a jobbing shop? Plus its a one off job.
When I enquired about getting it made I couldn't find anyone that wanted to take on cast iron so I made it myself in the end.

I redrilled the holes in the cabinet sides to raise the perspex top up to clear the column.

Hi Mike thanks for the reply. The more I think about it the more I want to do it! :) I was peering at your 4th axis pics earlier today and noticed the new holes for the hood , so i'm glad it can be done.

The place I got the quote didnt want to do cast iron either they suggested Mild steel :/
I'm going to do as you suggest and ask around to see if anyone else will take it on for me.

If I can get it done for £300 I think it will be a worthwhile investment in such a capable little machine.

jonnydeen
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: 1996 Novamill, linuxcnc
1986 Triac PNC, linuxcnc
1989 Senior 3c, Heidenhain TNC155

Post by jonnydeen » Fri 18 Nov , 2016 0:13 am

Cast iron isn't as popular as it once was and such large sizes of stock are not always easy to procure where as mild steel is generally much more common. Personally I wouldn't bother with cast. For this use its not really any benefit.
I made a riser from some offcuts of 3 1/2" x 1 1/2 mild cut and bolted together then skimmed as an assembly. Certainly not a £300 job
Just my €0.02

Ben L
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Ben L » Fri 18 Nov , 2016 15:30 pm

jonnydeen wrote:Cast iron isn't as popular as it once was and such large sizes of stock are not always easy to procure where as mild steel is generally much more common. Personally I wouldn't bother with cast. For this use its not really any benefit.
I made a riser from some offcuts of 3 1/2" x 1 1/2 mild cut and bolted together then skimmed as an assembly. Certainly not a £300 job
Just my €0.02
Thanks Jonnydeen, just read this and was talking with someone just last night who had done the same, it seems like the logical way forward and could all be done one the Nova its self (?) i'll get on it this week.

cheers

Ben

DavidB
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Triac, Orac

Post by DavidB » Fri 18 Nov , 2016 18:07 pm

If considering using cold rolled or even hot rolled I would think about stress relieving it as cold rolled particularly has a tendency to warp when machined if done unevenly. I have an old pottery kiln I use for this purpose and tool wrapping foil to minimise oxidation. IIRC it requires heating to about 950C and then allowing to slow cool in still air.

jonnydeen
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: 1996 Novamill, linuxcnc
1986 Triac PNC, linuxcnc
1989 Senior 3c, Heidenhain TNC155

Post by jonnydeen » Sat 19 Nov , 2016 0:32 am

It can be done on the novamill itself but it'd be tricky. Especially with the limited headspace. I cut the stock oversize. Squared up the ends on the novamill. Marked out, drilled and countersunk manually on a pillar drill. Assembled it then mounted it on a faceplate faced it off on a lathe. Not even sure of the grade. Machines like mild or en8 but im not overly worried about it. It's hefty enough for this job. As for stress relief, i never relieved it so only time will tell as to whether it will be an issue. Certainly if it was a weldment then stress relief would necessary. Just can't imagine any quantifiable warpage taking place with such heavy section material

flyingmike
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by flyingmike » Sat 19 Nov , 2016 9:02 am

The idea behind using cast iron is to suppress vibration as it travels from the mounting area of the workpiece through the machine and to the cutting tool. Cast iron is particularly good at this hence why most machines are made from this material.
A similar thing can be achieved by adding more joints like building the raising block from component parts as vibrations dont like travelling across gaps however this greatly reduces stiffness which (in my opinion) is the most important characteristic of our machine.

If I was doing it again I would be tempted to go for a decent grade of steel like en8 but I would still try and make it from solid or reduce the number of parts as much as possible. You could also simplify it and add the stepper motor mounting features separately.

When you lift the column from the base you will most likely find some shims so there is the opportunity to correct for any inaccuracies in the machining at this point.

Ben L
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Ben L » Thu 01 Dec , 2016 11:50 am

Right i'm going for it! Ive been reading that the Y stepper needs to be remounted up side down? , is there another thread with more info on doing it or is there anything I should be aware of before I go in ?

One thing I do want to know is the hole on the middle strap reads Existing hole for clamping, could someone explain what that relates too.

I am sure once ive lifted the column up it will become clearer, but ive got this machine running daily so I would appreciate any info i can get before hand to reduce potential down time.

cheers

Ben

flyingmike
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by flyingmike » Thu 01 Dec , 2016 23:26 pm

Hi Ben,
In the existing column the stepper motor is mounted to the column casting rather than the base casting as you may expect. As you are raising the column up so are you raising up the stepper motor mounting point so to overcome this you mount the stepper motor to the column via the top two holes on the stepper motor frame rather than the bottom two holes. This is what dictated the height of the raising block. If you are not bothered about reusing the holes you could raise the column any height you like.

Not sure I understand what you mean by middle strap?

Mike

Ben L
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Ben L » Fri 02 Dec , 2016 1:55 am

Thanks for that Mike, I think I get it and i'm sure it will become clear when I see it now.

The hole below is what I meant sorry

flyingmike
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by flyingmike » Fri 02 Dec , 2016 9:34 am

.... I remember now :-). If you look at my other thread on my conversion to mach3 there is a photo of the raising block. I machined more of the strap away to allow the cables to pass through. It probably only serves the purpose of giving the block a bit more rigidity when machining etc.
Mike

Ben L
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Ben L » Fri 02 Dec , 2016 23:14 pm

ah nice one! I hadnt seen that thread before, it nice to see things in pictures, id like to add that t slot bed it would make life so much easier! :)

Ive got the coventry easy change, but it seems to have either been modified or replaced with a lower profile model as it look like it doesnt come down as far as the others on the Nova that ive seen. Ive got about 4" from bed to the chuck - tool holder - tool nominal 30mm, leaves me with about 65mm still not room for much. an additional 70mm would be a dream :D

Ive now put some feelers out to have the plinth made, so all being well it will happen soon :)

Ben L
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Ben L » Wed 07 Dec , 2016 23:49 pm

Ok Ive found someone who will at least take a look for me, all being well hes going to jet cut and then mill to tolerance. fingers crossed eh! :)

Ben L
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Ben L » Wed 14 Dec , 2016 13:48 pm

I hope someone can, help. My inexperience with machine tools is starting to show through :/ Ive been offered for someone to make this part from aluminium. Is that completely out of the question? I can see the obvious benefits for having it made from steel but what would be the drawbacks of having it in a lighter material.??
I'm not trying to skimp just drawn a complete blank on anyone making it in steel at all :/