Novamill ATC will not connect vr2 submitted10/2007

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

bsohal

Novamill ATC will not connect vr2 submitted10/2007

Post by bsohal » Sun 07 Oct , 2007 19:06 pm

Hi i was wondering if someone could help. I have just recently bought a Novamill ATC. It was built year 2000 and has the 6-ATC and pneumatic release foor door. The internal controller board is Denstep form what i have learnt and the onboard eprom reads:
ESMINT 3.28
V1.6H/S-JD5
The onbaord display is currently displaying a (.L) which i beleive is a limit switch open.
I have installed VR 2.31.3.951 but i cannot get the machine to connect. I have set the port setting to port-1, 19200 baud. I have checked the port by looping the pins on a d-type connector and echoing back characters in hyperterminal, which it does. Hopefully this prooves the port is ok.
I have also checked the cable using a tester and confirmed the pinouts with a connection diagram supplied on your forum. This is also ok.
when trying to connect to a machine the status displays 'CONNECTING TO MINT' followed by the port number. This is cycled from port-1 until 10 and then the software returns 'NO MACHINE FOUND'.
I have tried all the diagnostic tools and no machine is found. The port test tools also come back ok. Furthermore i have disable the FIFO buffers still to no effect.
So what have i missed.??
As this is an urgent enquiry i would greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sun 07 Oct , 2007 21:20 pm

The Eprom you have fitted is a a version used with Denford Dos Software. You can download it from the Denford site.

In order to run VRMilling Ver 2.31 you need a eprom Ver2.1 fitted.

bsohal

eprom novamill

Post by bsohal » Sun 07 Oct , 2007 22:08 pm

Hi after reading more postings i have found this out. It seems that the person i bought this machine of has had one over on me. The label on the controller indicates software version 2.102 but the machine has an eprom with v1.6h/s-jd5. Can i buy this eprom? as i need to use the machine in a windows based enviroment. Also does anyone know the price to upgrade the board to run VR5 maybe with USB.
Thanks for the quick response.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 08 Oct , 2007 8:54 am

Hi,

You cannot just buy an eprom and then run VR Milling 2 or 5 without purchasing a licence of VR. The downloaded software is supplied free but requires a licence to run. :(

Your choices are to use the Dos software or to buy a licence of VR Milling with an EPROM.

With the EPROM fitted you can jump straight to VR 5.

Upgrading the hardware will allow you to cut 3D parts as the software allows moves to be buffered and allow continuous path manufacture (the tool only slows down for axis reversal and not after every line of code).

There is a usefull link explaining how to identify your hardware and the advantages of VR Milling 5 below. :D

viewtopic.php?t=116

bsohal

eprom upgrade

Post by bsohal » Mon 08 Oct , 2007 10:11 am

Hi, i have a licensed copy of VR2, so does this mean if i replace the eprom i can run the version 2.0 fine?.
I am trying to get a Eprom at the moment and if all goes and the machine is fine, we will upgrade to VR5 and USB, ASAP. As we prefer to use current VR5 software for teaching. We have contacted Denford and they are getting us a quote as we speak. They are great help by the way..
Thanks.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 08 Oct , 2007 13:15 pm

Hi,

If you get a new EPROM the machine will work well with either VR Milling 2 or VR Milling 5.

The advantages of 5 are outlined in the document links I sent.

USB connection will also speed up manufacture.

bsohal

What dos software controls Novamill.??

Post by bsohal » Sun 14 Oct , 2007 14:36 pm

Thanks for all the Help, Can someone please tell me which DOS software i should use and also what are the port and speed settings. I have tried the EasiMill software but cannot connect to the machine. We are becoming slightly frustrated as we have spent a week on the machine and can get nothing but a cool breeze form the on-board fan :)
Can someone please help? Do i use the Fanuc software. Or is there a Novamill DOS app that i have missed.
Thanks in advance.
BS.[/code]

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 16 Oct , 2007 10:43 am

Not sure but probably Fanucmd:

viewtopic.php?t=856

Don't worry about manual port settings as it will be done automatically in the DOS software

bsohal

still no joy

Post by bsohal » Tue 16 Oct , 2007 13:24 pm

Can anyone help for the last time, we have tried everything, but cannot get this machine to work. i have been offered several suggestions from Denford with no outcome. The machine for the last time is a Novamill ATC, serial H00230, march 2000, it has software version 2.102 on the outside label and the internal chip reads ESMINT3.28 v1.6h/s-jd5. I do not have th desktop tutor. At the moment i am at the verge of loosing my job as this machine was purchased on my recomendation. If someone can help, please call me on 07970550998 that would be greatly appreciated. Denford was sending me a Eprom to test with VR2 but this has somehow got lost in the post..HELP..!! PLEASE..!! If someone has a Eprom chip for a Denstep board that is e.g version 2.0 etc so that i can test the controller using VR2, i am more than happy to pay for this.
Thanks

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Tue 16 Oct , 2007 14:23 pm

How are you going to run the VR Milling 2 software if you don't have a software licence for it?

We can send a service engineer down to sort out the machine if you want us to, just contact customer service.

Any support from the forum is free but for us, to create and send out parts costs money :!:

You have purchased a second or third hand machine not seeing it running, While we can get it going there will be a cost.

If you purchase the V5 upgrade you will end up with licenced software and a working solution.