Mirac 8 station tool changer

All info relating to the Denford Mirac lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

boots
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Mirac 8 station tool changer

Post by boots » Fri 19 Jan , 2007 15:17 pm

On the Mirac 8 station tool changer. If you have all 8 tool offsets and everything is working OK and tool #1 is destoyed, Do you have to reset the off sets on all the tools after resetting the offset of tool #1?
Thank you

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 19 Jan , 2007 17:21 pm

You shouldn't have to...

If I'm guessing correctly - you've set tool 1 as the reference tool with X0Z0 offsets, and all the other tool offsets are relative to that.

If that the case, then you can still set tool 1, by taking a cut, and putting in the offset for X and Z. The other tools will still be set correctly.
The only thing you must not change is the overall work offsets, which will shift all the tool positions.

In effect, if everything is setup correctly and only tool 1 has changed (because you changed the tip), then all that needs re-setting is the tool 1 offsets.
Depending on what happened, you should find that the tool 1 offsets work out to very nearly what they were before the crash (ie X0, Z0 ?)

I could do an illustration later, if this would help - it might help me as well :?

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 22 Jan , 2007 9:21 am

Normally tool one is used as a reference and the machine datum is set with the offset for tool one set to zero.

If the tool subsiquently breaks you can set the new tool one up and set the offset like all the other tools in relation to the old broken tool. The only difference is tool one will now have offset values as well as having the machine datum value set as well.

The Offset will tell you how far out the new tool 1 was from where the old one was.