All info relating to the Denford Mirac lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

rasp
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Mirac Tool Changer

Post by rasp » Thu 10 Dec , 2015 0:10 am

Hi All,

I have owned a Mirac for many years and it has been working fine until now.

First issue, the tool changer mispositioned after about 40 minutes of running then it was every change, after turning off and back on the tool was selected correctly again for about 10 minutes then it happened again. My question, is there some setting that needs changing or some adjuster that may now require attention?

Second issue after a tool change the spindle will not re-start, then after what seems like 2 minutes it starts running, the problem seems random as it can run for a few parts or it can do it on the next tool, my concern is, depending on how long the delay is before the spindle re-starts the tool sets off into the stationary work after a short delay as if its in a wait loop that has timed out. Any ideas what to look for would be a big help.

Could the 2 problems be connected in some way?

My machine is the LCB3 type with the built in screen and computer.

Thanks
Graham

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Re: Mirac Tool Changer

Post by angel-tech » Fri 11 Dec , 2015 2:10 am

Does your machine have only one inverter to run both spindle and tool changer. If so, the problem may possibly be the changeover switch that sends the inverter output to either the tool changer motor or the spindle motor.
If you decide to check this be aware that it can be dangerous to the inverter to disconnect the output from it's motor when running.

rasp
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by rasp » Fri 11 Dec , 2015 10:52 am

Hi,

it is indeed a single inverter type, is it possible to change it to two and make things work more smoothly?

Thanks
Graham

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Fri 11 Dec , 2015 11:58 am

it's a fair bit of work, but yes it can be done. You may need a different version of denfords software to run it.