Mirac tool set up and computers

All info relating to the Denford Mirac lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Mark AW
Hardware/Software: Mirac 2003 with windows 98 built in computer system, vrturn and quickturn

Mirac tool set up and computers

Post by Mark AW » Tue 26 Feb , 2013 20:04 pm

HI Guys
could you offer some help to a complete beginner, I have just acquired a Mirac Lathe 2009 edition and just getting my head around setting tools , stupid question 1 , how do you set up a boring bar in the tool holder , I understand the auto changer bit and the holes , but does the bar need to be upside down , and if so how do you ensure the tip is at centre height as on a manual lathe you could align it with a dead centre in the tail stock and would the setup be the same for a internal screw cutting tool , also which of the little symbols in the tool library would you use (tool orientation picture things ??????)
Stupid question 2 , what do those pictures mean ??
Stupid question 3 with the system being based around a P.C with windows 98 on it would it be possible to upgrade the computer to a slightly new system ie win XP , if so what would I need to look out for in the terms of mother boards . I understand some cnc equipment must have a printer port to control the machine ????

Many thanks

Mark

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Mirac tool set up and computers

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 27 Feb , 2013 10:04 am

Can you post some photos of machine and inside the electrical box ?
You say its a 2009 machine but it sounds more like a 1999 machine :?

Notes on uploading pictures and picture size:
http://denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=823

Mark AW
Hardware/Software: Mirac 2003 with windows 98 built in computer system, vrturn and quickturn

Post by Mark AW » Wed 27 Feb , 2013 19:39 pm

yep I am an idiot !!!! its a 2003 thats the dispatch date sn H03886 electronics sn 0c00263565 ... typical Yorkshire man wouldn't turn the light on in the workshop !!!! if it gets abit darker I may even light the candle . didnt take any photos as the unit is in a corner of the workshop and not easily moved.

Mark

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 28 Feb , 2013 10:18 am

I think that built in PC would upgrade to XP or you could get an external PC to connect directly to the control card via RS232.
It could be running an oldish version of VRTurning which will be good as you can probably install that on anything with an RS232 port (two if you want to use the tutor keypad?)
Photos will help (even if by candlelight!)
And serial number

Mark AW

Post by Mark AW » Mon 04 Mar , 2013 9:23 am

Morning Guys
Had a weekend sorting out the workshop and managed to move things around , still cant get to the back of the machine , but will post some photos asap the numbers on the side panel are sn H03886 electronics sn 0c00263565.

Mark

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 05 Mar , 2013 10:21 am

This is the original spec of the machine.

You can run VRTurning from a more modern PC as long as it has a 'real' serial port and you'll probably need a parallel printer port for the hardware dongle. The dongle could be an issue- getting it to work on anything above XP. A 'flash code' license text can be supplied instead but there is a small charge (contact service :bert: denford :ernie: co :ernie: uk )

Download the latest version of VRTurning from here:
http://website.denford.ltd.uk/index.php ... -downloads
Attachments
H03886.pdf
(26.17 KiB) Downloaded 826 times

Mark AW

Post by Mark AW » Tue 05 Mar , 2013 11:35 am

HI Guys
Thanks for the info on the computer side of things may just up the ram and monitor for the time being as its working fine , Please find attached a few snaps , sorry about the quality , taken with my phone as you do ( I shoot film..... sad I know ) , Cant get to the back of the machine yet to photo inside , but will post up photos asap. I have down loaded the vr turn Pdf and working through that so getting a bit more into how it works.

Best regards

Mark
Attachments
CNC 4.jpg
CNC 4.jpg (287.99 KiB) Viewed 10519 times
CNC 2.jpg
CNC 2.jpg (279.34 KiB) Viewed 10519 times
CNC 1.jpg
CNC 1.jpg (151.13 KiB) Viewed 10519 times