Dismantling MIRAC PC of mid 1990's vintage

All info relating to the Denford Mirac lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

AndrewMawson
Hardware/Software: Currently rebuilding a MIRAC PC

Previously (but years ago) had a TRIAC and an ORAC

Dismantling MIRAC PC of mid 1990's vintage

Post by AndrewMawson » Thu 22 Mar , 2018 13:36 pm

I have a MIRAC PC that I don't know the age as the label is missing but possibly mid 1990's.

This is the style of MIRAC with the large black electronics box permanently fixed to the machine and uses a LBC3 controller board

I'm trying to remove - lift off - the white enclosure to facilitate grit blasting and re-spraying but at the moment it's defeating me. It looks as though it is just held by a series of M4 cap screw about the periphery, but something else is holding it up at the top and rear ie above the lathe itself, where there seems to be a built in metal trunking cavity.

Has anyone pulled one of these apart before? Has anyone any drawings or photo of the dismantled casing?

Any help would be appreciated.
Lifting-Off-The-Stand.jpg
MIRAC PC coming off the stand
NB I've installed a different PC
Lifting-Off-The-Stand.jpg (210.12 KiB) Viewed 5529 times

AndrewMawson
Hardware/Software: Currently rebuilding a MIRAC PC

Previously (but years ago) had a TRIAC and an ORAC

Re: Dismantling MIRAC PC of mid 1990's vintage

Post by AndrewMawson » Sat 24 Mar , 2018 13:14 pm

I gave up trying to remove the cover for painting, and am stripping it 'in situ' - not the best approach but needs must when the devil drives.

Turns out that the big black enclosure is bolted onto the back of the white lathe enclosure by four large studs and nuts. To gain access to them, the false inner panel that all the electronics are mounted on has four large holes for a socket or box spanner. However in my machine the false inner panel has been mounted out of alignment so access to the nuts is not possible.

Were it possible to remove the four nuts the two enclosures can be parted, and as the majority of the wiring between them is in one corner (Top right looking into the electronics enclosure) it should be possible to ease them apart and turn one at 90 degrees to the other to gain access and then hopefully get in that elusive rear lathe compartment.

. . . . but it's not possible to remove the nuts . . . :(