Tom Senior Vertical Mill

General support, help and advice for Denford CNC machines (old and new)

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Gixer
Hardware/Software: Tom Senior vertical mill, Myford 254S long bed lathe with Myford Rishton milling head, TOS Mn80a instrument lathe, Eagle surface grinder, Warco surface grinder, Boxford VMC190Xi CNC mill converted to Mach3, Brierley chamfer grinder, Meddings pedestal drill, Unique universal grinder based on a Vison tool & cutter grinder.

Tom Senior Vertical Mill

Post by Gixer » Tue 17 Oct , 2023 19:23 pm

This is my first posting and I am keen to find out the exact model designate for a Tom Senior vertical mill I have owned and refurbished over the last couple of years.

The machine has the dovetailed ram type head mounting as opposed to the more common cylindrical mount. From the serial number it appears to have been made in the final year of Tom Senior’s existence and it has a darker green paint which is a British Standard colour called scarab (or so a local industrial paint supplier informed me).

The original Brook Compton motor is three phase although now powered via Newton Tesla / Mitsubishi VFD. The machine has metric leadscrews and dials, although these were all shot and now replaced with trapezoidal equivalents. The machine I am led to believe was previously owned by a well known manufacturer in the Bristol area, but I reckon it was more likely in the gorilla enclosure at the zoo judging by the utter neglect and lack of lubrication on the slide-ways when I took delivery of it! Fortunately though the spindle was in excellent condition and I can honestly say that in all my years as a toolmaker I have never used a machine that is so quiet.

Any help on identifying the model would be most appreciated.

Shaun
IMG_0319.jpeg
IMG_0319.jpeg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 18664 times
IMG_0320.jpeg
IMG_0320.jpeg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 18664 times
IMG_0318.jpeg
IMG_0318.jpeg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 18664 times