Retro Fitted Makita Router

All info relating to the Denford MicroRouter Compact small routing machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

preso
Hardware/Software: Windows XP SP2 Currently using Quickcam 3D

Retro Fitted Makita Router

Post by preso » Sun 19 May , 2013 10:58 am

Hi,
Our Porter Cable router motor has had a hard life and after several new sets of bearings, brushes and a failed on/off switch we have decided it is too risky to use any more. I was able to machine a steel reducing collar which allows us to fit a standard Makita trimmer router into the alloy motor plate. We ran the power cable outside the enclosure and ran the motor from a wall mounted power outlet. This worked OK but I was keen to run the motor from the power outlet inside the enclosure. I fitted the motor with the correct power plug and connected it to the Denford outlet but it refuses to run. The router that we are using is a type with an electronic speed control built in. Is it not possible to run this motor from the Denford's modulated power supply? Is there a workaround? Can I bypass the electronic speed control in the Makita?
Any advice would be welcome.

Regards,

Mark Presling

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Retro Fitted Makita Router

Post by Martin » Sun 19 May , 2013 20:13 pm

I presume you are trying to run a AC motor from a DC spindle drive. If you remove the DC drive you can use the run command wires to control a relay that will switch the 240 volts on when a soindle request is performed. All you would need is a 24volt DC relay with 2 contacts.

preso

Post by preso » Mon 20 May , 2013 3:12 am

I thought the Porter Cable spindle motor fitted to our microrouter was an AC machine. I have had it out of the Denford and run it on the bench with a 240 AC supply to check the brushes? If it was a DC motor would it still run from an AC supply?

Regards,

Mark Presling

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 20 May , 2013 11:08 am

From the electrical schematic for the MicroRouter Compact with a relay PCB, the mains input to the spindle drive is switched via a relay already.
If the Makita has speed control built into the motor itself, then you might as well run it from the input supply to the drive (and disconnect the drive)

If you want to keep the drive for the new motor, check manual which is posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2106

preso

Post by preso » Mon 20 May , 2013 11:32 am

Ok,
I'm not an electrician so I think I'm going to just run the motor from an external power point. It would be nice to have the Makita motor switched from the NC code but I can live without it.

Regards,

Mark Presling