Microrouter Pro X axis binding

All info relating to the Denford MicroRouter and MicroRouter Pro CNC Routers

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Microrouter Pro X axis binding

Post by TDIPower » Mon 19 Feb , 2018 23:53 pm

Picked up this machine a week ago, full of balsa dust. Had to clear the home switches so I could get some traversing done.
at about 480mm on the x noticeable binding and judder.

I have stripped all the axis, cleaned all the nuts, screws, 'gibs' (the runners), silicone lubrication on everything. It moves like a dream in all axis now BUT still binds when it gets to 500mm on the x axis. I have found that if I loosen the support blocks at the non drive end of the screws I can get it travel all the way with no issue. The gap required between the blocks and the T shaped aluminium is about 3mm on each side. So the reason it can't travel to where it should is because it is having to try an bend the screws out!

When I stripped the nuts I did one side at a time, marked them to ensure they went back the same. I only removed the no drive end blocks.

It has just occurred to me that on the Y axis I noticed that the runner bars whilst flush with the upright on the door side of the machine were not so on the back side of the machine, I just thought that they might not have been cut to length, could it be the school have stripped this in the past and not assemled it correctly and I have just rebuilt it the same?

Is there any drawings with specific measurments or a set of instructions to deal with a full strip/service/rebuild?
How tight should the 'gib' runner screws be?

Thanks

Pete

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Microrouter Pro X axis binding

Post by Martin » Tue 20 Feb , 2018 0:00 am

It may be worth checking the alignment of the X axis nuts.

If you remove the 3 screws then move the axis to the right & then slowly slide it back to the nuts they should both be in the same orientation when they move. You may have to try the front nut on all 4 threads to get it correct.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Tue 20 Feb , 2018 0:25 am

Cheers Martin,

I'm 99.9% this is correct (but then I thought that about the VP switch didn't I :) ) When I removed the nut closest to the door I did put it on 1 point off (despite me marking it and taking a photo) so when I wound it back to the axis which was at machine zero the screw holes were out when it was flush with the front on the axis. I just wound it off again and refitted 1 point round (with my marks this time)

Another point is that with the end blocks loose and the axis at zero the screws seem to want to sit both blocks away from the T section by that 3mm on each side, its not just when the axis is at that end, you do need to pull them in.

Ill take some measurements off the one in work.

Thanks

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Tue 20 Feb , 2018 22:00 pm

I had 5mins at work looking at the one there, I measured the distance between rails etc and all matches up. Then I thought I wonder if for some reason the drive has skipped a tooth. When I got home I looked at start point of the threads at the LH end and although they looked to start at the same point lining up with the bearing retaining upper screw I noticed the flats on the feed screws where the drive pulleys secure to looked to be one tooth out. I dropped the belt off and moved the slave screw one tooth and refitted the belt with flats on both feed screws now lined up. Looking at the other end the threads no longer look like they line up and it has made no difference to the travel.

At work I loosened the LH end bearing blocks and traversed the axis all the way to them, they stayed true to the T section aluminium, when I do that with mine each block gets moved away from the T Section by 3mm as if the axis is 6mm wider overall than the aluminium section at that end. As I say I have measured the distances at both ends and mid point of the T section at they appear to be parallel and are the same width as the one in work.

The distance between the inner sides of the axis blocks is 418mm at the LH, RH sides and top, which matches the one in work too.

Can you tell me the official procedure to line up the feed screws, fitting the drive belt and then the feed nuts. Also what it the procedure for adjusting the 'gib' guides

Thanks

Pete

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 21 Feb , 2018 21:19 pm

Hi Pete

I don`t believe we have a official document for this.

It is very rare for the X axis timing belt to slip.

You will need to undo the 6 screws holding the 2 nuts on to the X axis slides & wind both nuts to the extreme left. The see if you can pull & push the slide easily to both ends.

If it is tight then slacken the screws holding the guide on the front rail off & try to move the slide again. If it frees up then tighten the screws up one by one with the slide close to the screw to keep it inline.

If all is Ok then check the position of the 2 nuts are in line. bring both nuts back to the slide then tap the slide until the nuts turn. At this point both nuts should be in the same orientation. If they do not remove the front nut & try again on the next thread until they are aligned. When the are aligned move the slide to extreme right & fasten the nuts back on,

You can now drive the axis to the left & reset the support bearing housing at this point.

Hope that makes sense,

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Wed 21 Feb , 2018 21:49 pm

Cheers Martin,

Wanted to have a 'garage night' tonight but we got the call at work and Ofsted are in tomorrow now :( I gave ours a good coat of looking at in work this morning. I thought I had cracked it with mine when I realised that the screws were out of line in ref to the flats the drive gears mount on however when I checked in work ours is 3 teeth out in that respect BUT the threads line up with each other. It has to be something simple and with only being able to grab a bit of time here and there it makes it a little harder. One thing for sure I am getting to know it inside and can direct my technician on what he will need to do in terms of a summer service!

Pete

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Thu 22 Feb , 2018 23:01 pm

Ofsted done, garage time!!!

I dropped the bearing blocks the left hand end of x travel, made it so I could run full travers with the door open, drove the axis fully left. wound the closest nut out, and back on on the next thread round, wound the axil to the right and then back left guiding the nut into the axis. Kept doing this until the nut lined up with screw holes in the axis.
Drove it to the home position, refitted the LHs bearing blocks, drove the x axis all the way left and got a very small stall just near full travel.
homed x, loosened the nuts, drove it all the way to the left no problem, nipped up the nuts in that position and now have full travel no problem!!!!

At long last :)

Thanks for your help Martin!!

Now I just need to sort out the issue over the blown input on the 74HB14 inverter (U19) for the VPR, that or rewire it so I can just turn the pump on/off regardless of software control. Do denford do board repair or is it board swap? Have you heard on this as a problem before?

Pete