Resolving No Firmware & No RS232 Connection

All info relating to the Denford MicroRouter and MicroRouter Pro CNC Routers

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

hockinsk
Hardware/Software: Microrouter V5 Pro NS / VR 2.21

Resolving No Firmware & No RS232 Connection

Post by hockinsk » Sun 29 Oct , 2017 13:29 pm

I'm a new owner of a Microrouter V5 Pro NS. My understanding this has 7 segment green nextstep card, but I often see it called a nextmove NS card too so not sure?

Powering up I get '8' followed by '-.' followed by '2' indicating no firmware, but FPGA has booted successfully.
I don't seem to be able to get any connection to the machine using VR Milling or Easy Upgrader but have run a loopback continuity test all the way from COM1 on the PC through the bulkhead to the card suggesting the cable is working with the loopback across 2 & 3 pins.

Is there any way / tool to connect to the card if the machine can't be found using EasyUploader? I found NSUpgrader.exe in the VRMilling folder, but haven't been able to get this to connect either.

Am I correct in the firmware file should be: MicroRouterPro.52XX.mex

Many thanks

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Resolving No Firmware & No RS232 Connection

Post by TDIPower » Sun 29 Oct , 2017 23:07 pm

There is a thread on here that gives you the full pin out to go direct from a 9 way RS232 on the computer to the 9 way RS232 on the control card. can't remember where it is though now. My 1st encounter with a Microrouter V5 NS was to get it up and running for another school, they didn't have any lead. One thing I have found with RS232 over the years is it is a pain in backside to get up n running.
You only need the loop backs in the PC end of the lead for the RTS and DTS, you only need the TX-RX and ground at the Microrouter end. it is just a case of getting the RX and TX the right way round though.

Which version of VR are you using?

hockinsk

Post by hockinsk » Mon 30 Oct , 2017 9:19 am

I'll try the DB9 to DB9 direct connection if I can find some modular connectors today to make one up. Com1 worked with the loopback using a putty session to it, the Lindy cable tested fine on every pin for continuity and again I loobacked 2&3 fine with a putty session passing data through it and the same again through the machine's internal wiring upto the metal DB9 connector that plugs into the nextstep card loopbacked, so i'd be surprised if it's the cable, although perhaps never be surprised with RS232 lol!

The machine came with the computer and a hardware dongle, so i'm having to run VR Milling v2. If I can get the machine operational, I would like to upgrade to USB and VR Milling v5 so I can use my laptop running Fusion 360. That's the plan anyway.

hockinsk

Post by hockinsk » Mon 30 Oct , 2017 14:07 pm

Many thanks TDI Power. I've just soldered up a direct 9 pin to 9 pin lead straight to the card and we have lift-off. Firmware updated to: 5216, FPGA: 17, CPLD: 9.

Card has been identified as a NextMove ST-RS232 by Easy Upgrader.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Tue 31 Oct , 2017 20:02 pm

You could try just swapping 2-3 over on the 25 way and try the original lead to prove where the issue was, I can't remember which card or version we have in ours but we run using RS232 fine.
We use Fusion at work not just for the design but for the G code/paths rather than using the export stl and then post process in quickcam pro although for 2D paths we tend to use Techsoft 2d design tools and export the DXF and use VR5 to sort out the post process. Not tried it in Fusion as I'm more used to Techsoft at the moment.

Glad you got it up and running.

Time for machining fun!!

Pete

hockinsk

Post by hockinsk » Tue 31 Oct , 2017 21:11 pm

Yep, I just couldn't get a standard 9-Way to 25-Way RS232 lead to work with or without the 2 & 3 swapped, so maybe the bulkhead connector on this has been messed around with I don't know?

In the end, I just soldered up the 9-Way to 25-Way link cable using the pin-to-pin connections of the direct 9-Way to 9-Way you posted so I can put the casing back on and forget about it. This seems to be working well.

COMPUTER > (MICROROUTER) > NEXTSTEP RS232
2 RXD > (2) > 3 TXD
3 TXD > (3) > 2 RXD
8 CTS > (4) > 7 RTS
7 RTS > (5) > 8 CTS
5 GND > (7) > 5 GND

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Wed 01 Nov , 2017 23:17 pm

I had the same issue when I went to help a school out with theirs, I had made up the cables as per all the various permutations on here as to what should work, none worked, I made up the direct link cable and it proved the machine worked fine.

I just thought I have one of those test any PC cable machines (far easier than getting out the DVM and going pin to pin), when I go in next week I'll run it on the cable we have running our router and let you know what that comes out as just for the fun of it.

Pete

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 02 Nov , 2017 16:16 pm

Some of the earlier RS232 internal cables had fewer connections and were not able to upgrade firmware I dont think they had the CTS and RTS wires connected.

This could possibly have been the issue.