JohnTech
Hardware/Software: Windows XP (SP2)
1.8 pentium

QuickTURN 2D
Denford Mirac with 8 station tool-changer
Converted to MACH 3

Microrouter (2006) No movement all three axis

Post by JohnTech » Mon 15 Jun , 2015 13:12 pm

I was having problems with the axis moving away from the homing switches when trying to home the machine
and thought it was dirt stuck in the switches.
However after cleaning the switches I have no movement at all and when the switches are depressed manually,
the software registers it and reads 0
I do have an amber flashing LED on the main board and have noticed that a relay above the three main axis relays
appears to have one of its contacts permanently close even when the machine is powered off.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
Main Board
photo 2.JPG (567.86 KiB) Viewed 4508 times
photo 1.JPG
Relays
photo 1.JPG (458.38 KiB) Viewed 4508 times

MAX THE MILLER
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Denford Triac PC. VR Milling 5.51.0.616

Re: Microrouter (2006) No movement all three axis

Post by MAX THE MILLER » Mon 15 Jun , 2015 13:37 pm

I'm not an expert on CNC electronics, but I do have an electronics background.

With power off all relay armatures should spring back to the released position. It's possible though that a relay could be powered from a charged capacitor, but it should release once the capacitor is discharged.

Depending on whether they are Normally Closed (NC) or Normally Open (NO) types, all relay contacts should revert to the correct state when the relay coil is unpowered.

If an NO contact is in the closed state, then it's possible the contacts have become welded.

An NC contact will be closed when the relay is unpowered, but will break when the relay coil is powered.

It's generally possible to remove the transparent covers from relays (they're held by lugs in slots) to make a closer examination.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Microrouter (2006) No movement all three axis

Post by Steve » Mon 15 Jun , 2015 15:00 pm

Hi, The Relay is fine there are 5 NO contacts and 1 NC As you release the E stop during power up you will see all the contacts change state.

Can you try homing the machine one axis at a time and see if all axes are moving in the wrong direction? Pressing ESC will cancel the move if its in the wrong direction then disconnect and reconnect and try homing another axis.

If its just one axis it may still be the microswitch

I would first check the correct machine type is selected in the software.

What software are you using (VR Milling 2 or 5)?

Is the correct machine selected as current? Check the serial number label on the machine then go to setup and select Machine.