I get 'Move Exceeds Limits' using my Microrouter or Micromil

Post by bradders » Thu 23 Feb , 2006 11:29 am

I get 'Move Exceeds Limits' using my Microrouter or Micromill

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Thu 23 Feb , 2006 11:29 am

Q: I get 'Move Exceeds Limits' using my Microrouter or Micromill

A: If the program was created using Mill Cam Designer or Techsoft 2D Design Tools, a bug in the post processor installation program is setting the wrong parameters for the Machine.
To solve this you need to edit the C:\DENFORD\CONFIG\FANUCM.INI file and change the values to the ones below: -
[Micromill 2000 (metric)]
Max Material Length=228
Max Material Width=130
Max Material Height=100
[Micromill (metric)]
Max Material Length=228
Max Material Width=76
Max Material Height=100
[Microrouter (metric)]
Max Material Length=550
Max Material Width=270
Max Material Height=80
Max Speed=23000

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 02 Mar , 2006 17:27 pm

MicroMills using the AES curriculum and platten can also experience this problem as the platten is very close to the bed and the standard tool is very short.

If you experience this problem manually jog the slide and check you can move the tool to all corners of the workpiece and also can jog down to the base of the billet. If you cannot get down this far loosen the collet and pull the tool out a little further then reset your datum.

amesmich

Post by amesmich » Wed 17 May , 2006 13:41 pm

I get this same error with my Router. If I change the file to the specifications above will I then be limiting the travel of my router??? Will I still have full use of the table?

amesmich

Post by amesmich » Wed 17 May , 2006 13:41 pm

Is there new updated post processor with out the bug?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 18 May , 2006 10:31 am

I'm not sure its to do with the Post processor, it could be that -

The workoffsets aren't set up properly.
A tool length offset is being applied when you call T0101 M06.
The program really is too big for the working capacity of the machine.

When the WorkPiece Datum is set on the top left of the billet, with the tool touching this position, the XYZ reading should be 0,0,0 - make sure you are not looking and machine positions (which is always 0,0,0 when at home position) - Set the workpiece datum position from the Offsets window
From JOG mode now, you should be able to move the tool to the extents of the program you are trying to machine.

For example, if the deepest cut is 1inch (in Z axis), then you should be able to manually jog the tool down so that the readout goes at least to Z-1.0000" - if the axis stops before it gets there, then this is the end of travel, and you will need to adjust your program, billet position, or put a longer tool in.

You should also repeat this for X and Y axes - just to make sure you can actually machine the program within the constaints of the machine.

Hope this helps clarify why you might be getting "out of limits" messages

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 18 May , 2006 15:54 pm

If you have VR Milling 5 then click on the blue information Icon at the bottom of the screen and the position of the cut part is shown within the working machine envelope.

If the Datum position is incorrect then this will be shown.

You have to ensure that the programmed part can be mounted on the bed and remains within the working travel of the machine. Then ensure the datum position is set correctly.

amesmich

Post by amesmich » Fri 19 May , 2006 3:04 am

Thanks guys Ill check it out. I have an old version of VR its 3. something

amesmich

Move exceeds limits again.

Post by amesmich » Wed 10 Jan , 2007 14:21 pm

I have since looked at the above information and everything is fine.

I think I have found the probelm but I dont know how to make the changes.

I am using techsoft 2D to export the code for simple text. When I look at XYZ values that are all positive and my machine moves with all negative cordinates. This is whay I get the move exceeds limits. How do I change this?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 10 Jan , 2007 14:33 pm

Normally all move values will be postitive - this is normal.

If you look at the above picture, you must set up the workpiece datum by touching the tool on that bottom left corner and zeroing the XYZ work piece offsets.
This corresponds to the bottom left hand corner of of your techsoft design.
Any XY moves inside the job will be positive, eg
Bottom, left corner of billet and design is X0 Y0
Top, right corner of billet and design is X100 Y 80 (mm)
Therefore tool in the centre of the billet would read X50 Y40 (mm)

Also its worth making sure you setup the page in techsoft to match the size of your intended billet / workpiece.

amesmich

Post by amesmich » Wed 10 Jan , 2007 15:41 pm

When I said my cordinates were negative I was talking about the Machine cordinates from home location. Home is all zeros in machine cordinates. The program cordinates change at the home location depending on the ofset values.

When I look at the program code I am verifying that the values are all within range of the machine when it is set to display the program cordinates. Does this sound correct? For the life of me I can get this to run without exceeding the limits.

heres what I am looking at

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 10 Jan , 2007 16:31 pm

Ok,

I would start by changing the display to program co-ords, machine co-ords will not really help as the program is using program positions.

Look at the first move, Z0.0787, jog the Z to this position (in program co-ords), does it let you get thereabouts ?
Now try Z-0.0114,
Now jog to X3.1514
Now jog to Y9.0158 (228.6mm ? this one sounds close to the Routers' limits, and way too much travel for the Micromills' Y travel of 130mm)
Continue in this way and you will find the problem...

(You may have to toggle the units button in the bottom left corner to make the position display show imperial)

Another thing to check would be your version - is it the latest Version 2 - I know there were a few issues with older versions and imperial programming (mainly because we all use Metric here, and imperial mode is rarely used)

Regards

amesmich

Error Again

Post by amesmich » Wed 10 Jan , 2007 17:54 pm

My VRCM Version is = 2.30.3.947
I have a Microrouter

After setting my offsets and joging to the cordinates everything seems OK

but I still get the error.

I then put my offsets closer to the center and it worked, so what do I change or reconfigure so my actual physical working envelope is not seen out of limits by the software?

amesmich

Post by amesmich » Wed 10 Jan , 2007 18:21 pm

I think i got it now. I just need to tweak my settings in 2d so it matches up with the router, and using all metric seems to work better.

Thanks fo rall you do. You are always right on top of things. The company should pay you double.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 11 Jan , 2007 16:24 pm

Great - once you have it working in metric, try in imperial and see if it still works

PS - you can attach pictures directly to the forum webspace - less chance of losing them in the future.