Hardware/Software: Quickcam Pro v1.13.0.76
VR Milling v5.63.0.680
Novamill
Microrouter Pro
Win 7 Pro

Microrouter Pro X and Y limits

Post by oyoung » Tue 28 Feb , 2012 17:05 pm

Hi y'all

I have been stymied by a job that 'exceeds machine limits'. Exactly how far can the machine go? Judging by the data on screen in VRMilling it is 270mm for the Y axis. The piece I was cutting was 230mm diameter, with 'Extend Model Boundary' on QuickCam Pro 'Set Boundary Page' at 8mm for a 7mm diameter cutter (assuming that this extends model by 8mm each side). This makes the total job 246mm. I have sited the origin bang in the middle of the travel distance, noticing that it was not uniformly in between the two X axis guide rails.

A workaround was reached where we didn't extend the model boundary at all, and just sanded off the lumps at the end - but I really want to know how to defeat this monster :mrgreen:

Thanks for any help

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Microrouter Pro X and Y limits

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 28 Feb , 2012 17:54 pm

If you put the machine display into Machine mode in the control panel - it should read X0 Y0 Z0 when homed.
Then you can go into Jog mode and jog the axes as far as they are allowed by the software limits.

Also make use of the blue quick info button Image
This will show the bounds of the machine and where the toolpath will be taken (according to the work offsets you have set)
You can even adjust the work offsets while the program is displayed, shifting it around the screen until it is within limits.

oyoung
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
VR Milling v5.63.0.680
Novamill
Microrouter Pro
Win 7 Pro

Post by oyoung » Wed 29 Feb , 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks for the prompt info; the 'i' button certainly saves some time with regard to identifying issues before they are machined.

Perhaps this issue is more to do with Quickcam Pro? The model size is 230mm, and 8mm is added to Extend Model Boundary. This would surely equate to 246mm? With a max travel of 270mm this should be fine.

...or does Quickcam Pro add some random "necessary" toolpaths?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 29 Feb , 2012 13:23 pm

...or does Quickcam Pro add some random "necessary" toolpaths?
Possibly - I've seen it add lead in moves which go outside the boundary - have a look at the machining plan setting for Ramp In Radius and try reducing that

oyoung
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
VR Milling v5.63.0.680
Novamill
Microrouter Pro
Win 7 Pro

Post by oyoung » Wed 29 Feb , 2012 15:50 pm

Thanks again admin, I'll try that.