Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

boardwlk
Hardware/Software: Microrouter V4 NS
VR Milling 2.31

MAJOR Mystifying MicroRouter Misery

Post by boardwlk » Wed 15 Dec , 2010 15:53 pm

Microrouter V4 NS
VRMilling 2.31

We started out asking about the regular homing problem. All switches were completely clean and functional (checked with meter). A second symton the we didn't mention was that it would home and then drill down at full speed on z axis or suddenly stopped while running a program and drill straight down and freeze at that point.

The current situation is that no axes will jog (enabling via the 'secret' job key, but the x,y and z counters on the VRMilling screen will increment.

I have checked all voltage inputs to the next-step, the fuses, voltage out from control transformer, 24v power, and anything else I could easily check. The spindle will run at the set speed with M3 code and stop with M5. It will run a program without kicking back an error but the counters follow and the axes don't move.

Any suggestions or diagnosis would be welcome.

Graham- The schematics that you sent were a great help (troubleshooting at least).

Thanks again,
Ed

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: MAJOR Mystifying MicroRouter Misery

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 16 Dec , 2010 17:14 pm

I've seen some of your emails to Bradders where you say you are getting 28V to the motor coils, so they must be begin held still by the stepper drive section.
It must be that the step+direction pulses aren't getting to the drives.
If this machine is on external digiplan drives, then the ribbon cable to the drives may be loose or making poor contact
The common 5v/0V supply for step and direction pulses may be missing / poor connection.

If it uses the internal Baldor stepper drives, then I can only guess it's the top board and something like a ULN2003 that is at fault - unless there is something weird with the 5V logic supply.

As it's all axes, it could be a common supply voltage issue, but your previous symptoms may indicate a single axis failure causing damage to a component that now effects all the axes.

boardwlk
Hardware/Software: Microrouter V4 NS
VR Milling 2.31

Post by boardwlk » Thu 16 Dec , 2010 17:45 pm

We do have the internal board. I see two ULN2003s near the right edge of the board. Are there any checks we can make on themin the circuit?

Thanks much for the informative reply.

Ed

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 20 Dec , 2010 11:05 am

The quickest test will be to swap the top board / bottom board to rule them out. Hopefully you could sort something out with a local agent