Can anyone identify this Micromill model?...

All info relating to the Denford MicroMill and MicroTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

mrShrimp
Hardware/Software: Denford Micromill

Can anyone identify this Micromill model?...

Post by mrShrimp » Mon 20 Aug , 2012 17:53 pm

Hi, I am helping to fix an old Denford Micromill that a friend of mine found at his new teaching job. It has one etching tool in the tool holder, and no lubricant on it (we are working on that). I attached a photo of an identical machine that I found online. Also, we have not been able to locate the software floppies, and I learned that we need to either find them or buy a new copy if we want to use VR Milling to its full extent.

I was wondering if we could use programs included in the free download to transfer G-Code created externally to the Micromill? I downloaded "VR Milling v2.31 CD" from this link: http://www.website.denford.ltd.uk/suppo ... -downloads. Is there free software in that download that allows me to transfer G-Code to the Micromill, or do we need to buy VR Milling? Thanks so much!
Attachments
Denford.jpg
Identical Copy of the mentioned Micromill.
Denford.jpg (42.97 KiB) Viewed 5693 times

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Can anyone identify this Micromill model?...

Post by Martin » Mon 20 Aug , 2012 23:11 pm

What is the Eprom version on the control card.

You can download the Dos software free of charge but there is a charge for VRMilling Ver 2 & 5.

mrShrimp

Post by mrShrimp » Tue 21 Aug , 2012 7:16 am

We will figure that out the Eprom card version as soon as possible, but I noticed that you said we can run G-Code with the Dos software. We downloaded it and ran a program that I think was called DenCOMM.exe We did a bit of testing, and sent some G-Code to the machine with that program, but the machine didn't respond. I will take another look-through of the VR Milling manual to seek out mention of that program and how to use it, but could you tell us whether this is the right way to communicate with the machine without a VR Milling license?

The mill turned on, which is one good thing I guess.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 21 Aug , 2012 8:04 am

No,

You need to connect to the machine first.

Therfore you need the correct control software.

VRMilling will only work with a version 2.0\2.1 eprom or a NextStep top board.

If you have a Dos eprom then you need to control it using Dos software that can be downloaded from,

http://website.denford.ltd.uk/support/9 ... s-software

mrShrimp

Post by mrShrimp » Tue 21 Aug , 2012 19:23 pm

The manual for the micromill2000 said to use windows 95 or 98, and I expect that this doesn't have a Eprom card that is more recent than the one that the micromill2000 comes with, so this should turn out nicely now, assuming the machine is still functional. Thank you again for your help!