Microturn opt file issues

All info relating to the Denford MicroMill and MicroTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

cbquick

Microturn opt file issues

Post by cbquick » Mon 25 Jan , 2010 2:24 am

I have a Microturn lathe that I am trying to get to work. I have the unit connecting and attempting to home using the Flstep Dos software from the website. When trying to home both the x and z axis the machine moves away from the limit switches. I have tested the switches and they are both function, but I think that the settings in the opt file are not correct for my machine. I am currently using the opt file from the Microturn folder supplied with the Flstep download.

I attempted to use the FanucSLD Dos software but have not been able to get it to open. When I try to run the program it gives me an "error <30> slave controller disconnected" and then an "error <128>..."

The information for my machine:
Model: Microturn
Serial No.: 54267
Date: 21-Sep-00
Spindle: .5Hp .37KW DOPH
Electronics SN.: 0C00222773
Max RPM: 2800
Tool Size: X

If anyone has any ideas on how to get the FanucSLD software or on getting the correct opt file setup I would really appreciate the help.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Microturn opt file issues

Post by Martin » Mon 25 Jan , 2010 10:29 am

This is the Option & Go files from a Microturn built in 1999.
I presume the files will be identical.
Flstep looks to be correct.

autoerror 0
dragmarking 0
displaysize 3 {PRODUCT OPTIONS FILE AS OF 08/12/97
narrowsimbox 0 {FOR MICROTURN
utils_menu_1 Dos Access
utils_go_1 dos
utils_menu_2 Turning Designer
utils_go_2 ldesign
mirac_sdevice machine
showtool 0
{--------FEEDS & SCALING-----------------
slave_accel 120
mint_mfact 314.96
slave_Xdatumfeed 600
slave_Zdatumfeed 600
highfeed 600
highfeedz 600
{--------SPINDLE----------------
slave_spindlelag 0
safespindle 150
slave_encoder 2000
slave_thread 1
slave_spindle 9
HIGHSPINDLE 3500
{--------TOOLPOST---------------
SLAVE_ATC 0
MAXTOOL 8

{--------X-AXIS-----------------
MACHINEEXTENTX 100
MOVERANGEX 50
CHUCKCENTREX 20
CHUCKX 25
JAWSX 10
BILLETX 20
{-------Z-AXIS------------------
MACHINEEXTENTZ 157
MOVERANGEZ 127

CHUCKZ 20
JAWSZ 10
BILLETZ 50
--------MISCELLANEOUS FUNCS-----
datumorder 0

IBM.RS2 1
$2F8 3 MACHINE
DENFORD1.KBD 1
18.2 $3F8 4
VGA.CRT 0
FLSTEP.APP

cbquick

Post by cbquick » Tue 26 Jan , 2010 3:04 am

Thank you, I tried the .opt and .go file you posted. I am still having the same problems. The .go file I have to use to get the machine to work is as follows:

IBM.RS2 1
$2F8 3 MACHINE
IBM.KBD 0
VGA.CRT 0
FLSTEP.APP

If I use the "DENFORD1.KBD 1" and supporting line the keyboard does not respond in the program. Using the supplied .opt file above the machine still attempts to home in the wrong direction (away from switches) I have verified that both limit switches are good by pressing them when the machine moves in the wrong direction. When I first press them the stepper changes direction and moves toward the switch until I depress the switch at which point the axis stops all movement.

I have tried doing this to both axis and the screen will then list 0.000 for both the x and z axis. But even at this point I am unable to do anything else with the machine. I don't know what other keys to press to jog the axis or start spindle..... Also at this point the machine still shows the message to home both the x and z axis.

Is there a way to get the original .opt file for the machine?
Is there a key mapping for the IBM.KBD type keyboard that will show me how to manually run the machine?
Should I be using a different Program?

Thank you all for the help and taking the time to read my post.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 26 Jan , 2010 11:01 am

When you say the keyboard I presume we are talking about the Desck Top Tutor.

If so then remove the "1" from the line "DENFORD1.KBD 1" to read "DENFORD.KBD 1". The "1! is for the later keyboard with the slide in legends. without the "1" is for the solid style Desc Top Tutor.

cbquick

Post by cbquick » Tue 26 Jan , 2010 15:07 pm

I don't have a desktop tutor, all I have is a standard PC keyboard (US machine). Do anyone know the proper key mapping for a standard PC keyboard.

I am also still suck on the homing issue described above if anyone has any further input.

Thank you all for the help.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 26 Jan , 2010 15:14 pm

cbquick

Post by cbquick » Tue 26 Jan , 2010 16:38 pm

Thank you, I have read that manual and I just tried those keys again. The only keys that work on the whole keyboard is "x", "z", F9, F10, ESC, F1 when in the "machine control" section of the Flstep software. For example I can press ALT+J and the "continues" message will never change. Is there something I need to change in the .opt file to tell it to use an IBM keyboard, or in Flstep? I am still trying to use the .opt file listed above. I have included a screen shot of what I am seeing. This is what it shows after I trick the machine into homing. It seems like it still does not think its homed because it still say press "x" or "z" to datum the machine. I have read and tried everything I can find on the forum and am thinking its either the .opt or I should not be using Flstep.
Attachments
DatumSS.JPG
Datum Screen Shot
DatumSS.JPG (88.23 KiB) Viewed 10032 times

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 26 Jan , 2010 19:22 pm

I can't see anything in the .opt that would cause it not to enter the jog mode.

In order to get it up & running you could swap over a pair of drive wires on the control card in the back. There may a another reason for it but this would revese the direction of the stepper motor. I am not sure what color wires you will have in you're machine but they be , Red,Yellow,Orange & Black. (red & yellow are 1 coil, orange & black are the second coil) if you change say red & yellow over then the direction should change. It may be later that you find the movement could be different from the display but it's worth trying first.

Is it possible to try another keyboard or test the one you have in order to enter Jog mode?

alphaindustry

Post by alphaindustry » Mon 14 Nov , 2011 14:27 pm

Hi!
I am using starturn 4 lathe and I am running it to starturn software but I am thinking of running it on fanuc. Can you please provide me the fanuc software from which you are running your microturn lathe so that I can try this on my starturn 4?

Best regards
Kamal

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 14 Nov , 2011 14:57 pm

All the old software can be found here:
http://website.denford.ltd.uk/support/9 ... s-software