Micromill 2000 - Z dropping

All info relating to the Denford MicroMill and MicroTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Benny
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Benny » Wed 03 Oct , 2007 12:53 pm

Micromill 2000 - I notice when the head drops down the slide or column that instead of coming down smoothly, it is jerky or falls down in short bursts. I do not know if this makes any sense, but somewhere I am sure something needs to be tightened or lubricated. Please advise.

Benny
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Benny » Wed 03 Oct , 2007 12:54 pm

Does the stepper motor make any load/unusual sounds when the Z axis is moving the spindle down/up?
Use a light grease on the slide ways and lead screw, automotive poly multi-purpose grease works fine, just a light coating will do. Only the dovetails on the sides of the vertical column need the grease (front & back). Work some grease into the threaded lead screw on the back of the column. Here is a link to the exploded parts view of the mill - http://www.sherline.com/CNCmillEX.pdf

There is a brass Z axis nut that is moved by the lead screw. This Z axis nut is bolted to the right side of the carriage that slides on the vertical column.

Does the spindle assembly feel loose on the vertical column? The gib strip has to be set tight enough to remove any play but not so tight that the stepper motor stalls trying to move it. Here’s a link on setting the gib strip adjustment on the machine -
viewtopic.php?t=103&highlight=gib