What steppers are in an '84 Easimill?

All info relating to the Denford EasiMill and EasiTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

ClitheroeKate
Hardware/Software: Denford Easymill 3, 1984, i believe it is totaly origonal. The spindle motor is marked as 1 hp, 3 phase with four pulleys for speed changes. 3 phase coolant pump. 1 board in the control is marked as PNC3. There are a few buttons missing on the control box and the tape drive dosen't work. The previous owner ran it off 3 phase and as I haven't got three phase at home I'm looking to convert it to single phase and up-date/up-grade it in the process. I am however a complete newbie.

What steppers are in an '84 Easimill?

Post by ClitheroeKate » Thu 04 Apr , 2013 22:20 pm

Can anyone tell me what stepper motors are fitted to a Easymill of 1984 vintage?
I am considering up-grading the current motors but need to know what I have as a starting point.

Details of the machine, if needed are in this thread -

http://denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4093

Ta.
Andy.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: What steppers are in an '84 Easimill?

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 05 Apr , 2013 10:32 am

All I can find is 200 steps/rev, 3.5 Amps, 1.1Ohms
Dimensions and wiring configuration you'd have to find out by taking the motor off.

Hopefully someone else can help further :?

ClitheroeKate
Hardware/Software: Denford Easymill 3, 1984, i believe it is totaly origonal. The spindle motor is marked as 1 hp, 3 phase with four pulleys for speed changes. 3 phase coolant pump. 1 board in the control is marked as PNC3. There are a few buttons missing on the control box and the tape drive dosen't work. The previous owner ran it off 3 phase and as I haven't got three phase at home I'm looking to convert it to single phase and up-date/up-grade it in the process. I am however a complete newbie.

Post by ClitheroeKate » Fri 05 Apr , 2013 14:39 pm

Its really the holding torque that I am trying to identify. The motors that are fitted at the moment (origonal) follow the Nema 34 standard and are 5 inches long.
With them fitted to the machine I can't see any identifying details at all. I'll whip one off tonight and see if I can see anything that might be hidden away.

ClitheroeKate

Post by ClitheroeKate » Thu 11 Apr , 2013 22:13 pm

I've now had one off and can't see any identifying marks.

Would it be fair to say that the origonal 5 inch long Nema 34 steppers fitted in 1984 would have the same holding torque as modern steppers of the same physical dimensions bought today?

I've seen another thread where the guy fitted motors to an Easymill of the same physical size with a holding torque of 8.6Nm, but if the originals were 3.5 amps I'm cautious they might be too big and actually slower than the originals.

Can anyone advise?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 12 Apr , 2013 8:56 am

I'm no expert on steppers but my experience would suggest that a new stepper of the same size will out-perform the old ones in torque and top speed.
Before you buy, have a look at the torque graphs for the motors on offer and just make sure the torque isn't going to drop off at the maximum speed you want to run at (ie, rapid)
You'll probably need to do a couple of calculations to convert feedrate in mm/min to steps per second (sps) or revs per second(rps) which is normally shown on the torque graphs.