Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

mike2424
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: cyclone tu150e /fanuc

DM8 turret

Post by mike2424 » Thu 30 Aug , 2018 0:28 am

Hey all

I am having issues with the DM8 turret in my Cyclone and have the following questions

1- is there a manual for setting the tolerances on the indexing plate ?

2- Is there supposed to be movement of the indexing plate when changing tooling ?

The turret will move out away from the sergations / index teeth but not fully retract .

I am not sure if I need to take the motor off and check the key and see if its worn, but basically is there a manual or instructions on how to set the tool changer up mechanicaly ?

Thank you Mike

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: DM8 turret

Post by Martin » Sun 02 Sep , 2018 20:12 pm

I am not aware of a manual.

It may just need the rotary position switch moving slightly to suit the tool fitted. The more weight in the tools the more inertia so it can`t stop as quick.

Also make sure you balance the tools as much as possible. (put heavy tools opposite each other as much as possible or spread the tools out.

mike2424
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by mike2424 » Mon 03 Sep , 2018 10:14 am

I do have the turret balanced, it just not indexing properly and its such a bitch to take it in and out of the machine I just wanting to get it done right and not have to mess with it to much. Thanks for the reply I will take it out and disassemble to see what the problem is. Mike

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 03 Sep , 2018 22:23 pm

You should be able to do it in the machine. Just take the cap head screws out holding the Aluminium cover plate on & you will see the rotary switch & the 2 larger cap head screws which if you slacken off will allow the switch to rotate, If you mark where it is first you should only need to move it slightly.

Dangle_kt
Hardware/Software: Denford Novamill
Denford Startturn 8 with turret
Haas TM1
A big hammer
Fusion 360 CAD/CAM

Post by Dangle_kt » Fri 07 Sep , 2018 15:43 pm

I don't know if mine is the DM8, but the turret rotates back a little as it's drawn back in, I think it's on a ring of ramps. Have you checked for chips in the mechanism?

The switch is exactly as described, but go careful I snapped 3 switches as the soldering/wire is brittle after all this time.

mike2424
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by mike2424 » Sun 09 Sep , 2018 12:14 pm

Well I got it working , no chips in it, just adjusted the lock nuts on the index plate and took a very little bit of tension of the 2 springs. It seems to be working good now. You know when this machine is is working good its great, but when it acts up its a real bitch. I have been turning a lot of 316 and 310 stainless and it does great. I am looking for a air chuck set up for it , what I have now is a 5" 6 jaw manual Buck chuck , but only with the inside jaws . Does anyone here have a air chuck and what size or types do you guys have ? Also the air cylinder looking for that too. Thanks mike