Cyclone TU150P (Fanuc OT) on Phase Converter

All info relating to the Denford Cyclone lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

cdmodelz
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Cyclone TU150P (Fanuc OT) on Phase Converter

Post by cdmodelz » Sun 20 Jan , 2013 17:59 pm

Hi All. I am hoping to purchase a Denford Cyclone with a FANUC OT 3 phase lathe and run using a phase converter.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is it possible to run the machine using a converter

2, What spec converter do I need

3. Would it be easier to convert to single phase (new PSU, drivers, stepper motors etc)

Thanks for the replies in advance. I have not paid for the machine as yet so want to really find about the converter stuff before taking the plunge

cdmodelz
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Re: Cyclone TU150P (Fanuc OT) on Phase Converter

Post by cdmodelz » Sun 20 Jan , 2013 21:18 pm

I have been going through some posts on here where a user has ran the Cyclone on a transwave converter etc etc. I am not that convinced it will be so successful so I am thinking s conversion to single phase is the best option with Mach 3 control. 80V PSU, new BOB's, new drives and double stack steppers (3m/min+ feedrate), coolant pump and toolchanger macro using existing switching in the turret. 2 parallel port cards should be enough for all outputs

The Cyclone has pneumatic door, power chuck, and full cabinet.

The advantage here is that it will cost £1000+ for an inverter and maybe £700 for the conversion

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 21 Jan , 2013 10:43 am

There is no doubt that I'd prefer to keep the Fanuc control and servos but I see what you're saying about the cost compared to the inverter...costly repairs to the Fanuc and it's lack of memory may make a Mach conversion a sensible option. If the Fanuc is a 0-TC (ie, not A or B series) and has Fanuc drives then I'd be seriosly thinking about trying an inverter
You will probably get a good 2nd-hand price for the Fanuc to offset the cost of the Mach upgrade.

cdmodelz
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by cdmodelz » Mon 21 Jan , 2013 21:05 pm

Thanks for the reply. Have been thinking and it is more logical to convert to Mach and sell the Fanuc kit as it will fetch a good price to cover the upgrade.

Do the Fanuc Cyclones have a 3Ph spindle motor or a servo motor? This will be important to know

The machine may have a power chuck and pneumatic door all which can be operated using Mach outputs.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 22 Jan , 2013 17:19 pm

Do the Fanuc Cyclones have a 3Ph spindle motor or a servo motor? This will be important to know
You'll need to provide photos or a serial number (of the side machine itself not the control serial numbers)
I think they have had all different kinds of spindle drive + motor fitted in the past - some have even had Fanuc AC Spindles

This looks like it could be the record sheet from a similar machine:
Attachments
TP0025.pdf
(200.06 KiB) Downloaded 600 times

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by jaycnc » Wed 17 Apr , 2013 20:16 pm

You won't have any problems running a cyclone off a phase converter but if you do go down that road then go for a direct drives digital one because they generate true three phase and not a phantom phase like transwave inverters and you will need the neutral generator fitted as well and it would need to be the 16 amp per phase version at 10hp so your looking at £4500 inc vat.
It's a big cost to outlay but worth it if you really want to keep the fanuc which you'd be mad to do away with in favour of steppers because servos and fanuc rule bud but if you do decide to sell the fanuc stuff then drop me an email with the board and motor numbers and ill take them for spares on my machines.

Jay

cdmodelz
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by cdmodelz » Wed 17 Apr , 2013 20:28 pm

Hi. Thanks for the very helpful info. The machine actually fell through but we managed to get another after which is not a Fanuc based machine which is being converted to Mach 3

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by jaycnc » Wed 17 Apr , 2013 20:57 pm

Do you have any fanuc gear off that one for sale bud??

cdmodelz
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by cdmodelz » Wed 17 Apr , 2013 21:10 pm

I have no idea as yet as it is in the queue for conversion.

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by jaycnc » Wed 17 Apr , 2013 22:55 pm

Very interested if you have mate so please keep me in mind.