Hardware/Software: CYCLONE
TRIAC
Micromill & Microturn
quickcam pro
V5 CNC Milling
VR CNC turning

desperate for help! running a VMC and CYCLONE

Post by nik » Wed 28 Mar , 2012 22:59 pm

Hi to all you CNC experts hope you can help me with ....well it's not really a problem more of a dilemma. West Cheshire College recently moved their engineering training school to a new building. They sold off all of the machines -lathes millers all in good condition and donated the two CNC machines (which have hardly been used – see my photos) with all the software and quite a few pounds worth of extras to our school - now an academy and, like the college, moving to a new building. My problems and concerns are many. I'd like to get the two machines, a TRIAC VMC and a CYCLONE, up and running but only have a minimal amount of knowledge when it comes to CNC machines (micro mills, micro turn, camm 1 and 2 machines) and software. I've been told I can have them converted? I've been told to keep them as they, are along with the FANUC software?? What do I do? I’d like to have it running as close as possible to industry standard for the sixth formers but may require it to work with year 9,10 and 11 students.
I do know I need to get onto a course that will give me the knowledge and understanding I might require – using FANUC etc...for these two machines or could I get this from a book or training DVD? I also want to know could I have them running on different configurations? Oh and one more thing I’ve had the two machines wired up and the keypad for the CYCLONE and the spare one (which both work on the TRIAC) don’t work.
Give anyone give me some down to earth advice please on how to get both myself and these machines up and running?
Nik
PS I'm copying this and pasting it into other help areas if that's o.k?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: desperate for help!

Post by Martin » Thu 29 Mar , 2012 6:52 am

Have you got the serial numbers for both machines?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: desperate for help! running a VMC and CYCLONE

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 29 Mar , 2012 11:29 am

I'd say you want to book Martin to come down, get everything running and show you how to use them and what their capabilities and limitations are.
He can also check if they can be upgraded to USB + new software and be able show you the new software and features.
email info at denford dot co dot uk to book a visit.

In the meantime I'd look through these:
viewtopic.php?t=953
viewtopic.php?t=1636

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 29 Mar , 2012 11:33 am

By the way, I deleted the other post.
This probably belongs in the parent section Machines but I'll leave it for now

jaycnc
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by jaycnc » Fri 30 Mar , 2012 17:02 pm

Keep both machines on fanuc or youll loose the best features of these machines without a doubt.
The keyboard problem on your cyclone will more than likely be down to a broken wire during transit as i had the same problem.
Just trace the wire from the front to the back and check for continuity and repair the broken ones.
Seems a common fault :wink:

nik
Hardware/Software: CYCLONE
TRIAC
Micromill & Microturn
quickcam pro
V5 CNC Milling
VR CNC turning

Post by nik » Sat 31 Mar , 2012 14:43 pm

Thanks for the replies so far guys
The serial numbers, I have and I'll post them next week Martin.
I've spoken to a few more people since the first post and they said the same as jaycnc- keep the FANUC!
I will give Martin a call at Denford to work out a price and arrange a suitable day - when all my year 11's and 6th form have gone!
Thanks guys
keep the replys comming any suggestions are always welcome.
Nik