Compact 1000 - Dragster Issues

All info relating to the Denford Compact 1000 and Compact 1000 Pro small routing machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Benny
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Benny » Tue 22 Apr , 2008 13:04 pm

Customer writes in...
I am having problems cutting a dragster. The car is coming out thinner than my model.

Benny
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Benny » Tue 22 Apr , 2008 13:08 pm

Take the stl file through QuickCAM 3D and use the following settings:
Setting the Cut Depth – Center -24.000 - needs to be set at -25.000, there was a slight ridge down the center of the car
Billet Size X=305.000, Y=80.000, Z=42.000
Model Position – Click the Center Left Arrow to move the model to the left in the billet
Setting Boundary Y=7.000 - the cutter will clear the billet
Set-up Tooling – Changed the 6mm dia. to 6.35 to equal a ¼” dia. cutter.
CNC File Output Z datum -21.000 Sets the Z Datum to the center of the cartridge.

VR Milling v5
The dragster fnc was opened.
Check Offsets – Used the MDI tab and typed in x0y0z21 & clicked Run, this should bring the cutting tool to the center of the pin, top & back edge of the billet. The cutter went to the center back edge of the block but was about 1” above the block, the Z offset was wrong.
Have customer jog the cutter down so that it is just touching the top of the cartridge pin. Open the Offset Window and click on the Offset Datum Position button for the Z axis and enter 6.000 (half of the pin diameter of 12mm) and click the Z Plus option (the cutter is on the top of the pin) and click OK to set the Z Offset.
Click the MDI tab, x0y0z21 noticed that was still entered, and click Run. This brought the cutter to the center of the pin on the top back edge of the billet.
Click on the “I” button to show customer how the billet was placed within the “machining area”.
Now click the Auto button and run the file.
File is running fine. Possibly QuickCAM 3D corrupt so reinstall ---- this took care of it.