Milling Text - Please help

A forum for issues relating to the use of TechSoft 2D design and Denford CNC machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

RonShealer

Milling Text - Please help

Post by RonShealer » Mon 07 May , 2007 17:44 pm

I am trying to do some text with 2d. Currently, the thinnest I can go is twice the diameter of my cutter. For example, with a 5/32" cutter my text lines all come out being 5/16". I can not figure out why it will not do 5/32" like it does when doing a line. I anticipate it is because for letters it goes around the outside "form" causing everything to be 2 x cutter diameter.

Please advise. I would like to do a few projects like awards and plaques but 5/16" is too thick.

Thanks

Ron Shealer
rcs15@scasd.org
State College School District

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 08 May , 2007 9:29 am

Its hard to tell exactly what you mean :?

Is it because Techsoft is following the lines of the text ?
If this is the problem then try using the offset tool to create a single line path within the text and only output that to the machine... see attached image
Attachments
techsoft-inner-contour.gif
Text Inner Offset in techsoft 2D design
techsoft-inner-contour.gif (3.42 KiB) Viewed 15996 times

RonShealer

Hmmmm.....

Post by RonShealer » Tue 08 May , 2007 13:02 pm

I will check that possibility. What I know is that my text never comes out just the thickness of the cutter, it is always twice that size. When I go into the settings I tell it the cutter size and I set the line thickness but everything is still double. Looking at your image, my text is solid, there are no "outlines", perhaps this is the problem?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 08 May , 2007 14:32 pm

Slect the text, then press the FILL button at the top - select no fill.

This may make things appear clearer

RonShealer

TEXT PROBLEM

Post by RonShealer » Wed 23 May , 2007 17:55 pm

Where do I find this Offset feature? I think it will work but could not find where 2d allows you to make an offset line. I looked under HELP but there is nothing for Offset.

Thanks

Ron

rcs15@scasd.org

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 24 May , 2007 9:09 am

I think that the problem you are trying to resolve can be done in a different way.

The problem is that when you look at a letter in techsoft the letter is made up of an outline and a fill.

The tool path will try and follow the outline and so make two passes and give you close to double width. By trying to do an inside offset you will still get two passes but hopefully in the same position.

If the text font you used was just a single line font with no outline or fill then the tool would be able to make just one pass along the line. We have several single line fonts available within QuickCAM 2D Design which would enable text to be cut simply.

The other option you have is to use a small cutter say 2mm with a ball end. If you cut 0.1 or 0.2mm deep the cut width will be about 0.5mm.

If you just follow the path round the outline of the text at this depth the engraved text comes out very well.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 24 May , 2007 9:15 am

Are you using Techsoft 2 D design? If so if you select some text then go to properties you will see that the text has an outling and a fill. If you select NO FILL you will then be able to see the vector outline (which is the path the cutter follows)

The contour option can be found in the Draw menu dropdown or on the Left hand menu bar once you have an object selected.