QuickTURN / VR TURNING loading backed up tool offsets PROBLEM

A place to talk about QuickTURN 2D Design - our first Lathe CAD CAM software for a very long time.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

mike_skinner
Hardware/Software: QuickTURN
VR Turning

QuickTURN / VR TURNING loading backed up tool offsets PROBLEM

Post by mike_skinner » Wed 16 Jan , 2019 21:35 pm

We have a new Turn270 Pro and have been really struggling since the install and training to get the tooling offsets loaded. I'm unsure if its something to do with our network install but having put both programs onto my own laptop and tried restoring the tooling offset file (created during the training last year) in VR Turning 1.49, I'm still finding that the Turn 270 Pro settings are not appearing in QuickTURN.

Subsequently the machine is sat unused as we are unable to load the tooling...

I have opened VR Turning > Tooling > restore - selected the tool offsets back-up file. Then closed VR Turning. Then, on opening QuickTURN > Options > Load/save tooling - this menu does not include Turn 270 Pro, just Microturn basic tooling.

I get exactly the same issue when at school on the PC that is connected to the lathe. This is the same PC that was connected for the training and used to create the original tool offsets in the first place. I have the tool offsets back-up file saved on google and am downloading the file to then select to load into VR Turn.

I'm sure its something incredibly simple but am absolutely stuck - Could it be something to do with restricted user settings when at school (school IT support assure me that this is not the case and have allowed me to be able to save into the C drive, something that is restricted for students but we would be running the lathe on a staff log-on) - if this is so, how come I am unable to load the tooling on my own laptop? My plan was to prove to our IT techs that I could use the lathe connected to my laptop but am unable to load the tooling for this..

Is there a particular location where the tooling offsets need to be saved? Am I missing the Turn270_Tooling.MML file in the first place (I've done a file search on my laptop but am unable to locate it)?

If there is any guidance then I would be hugely appreciative, email requests for support on this issue in the summer have gone unanswered
thanks,
Mike @ Duchess's High School, Alnwick

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: QuickTURN / VR TURNING loading backed up tool offsets PROBLEM

Post by Steve » Thu 17 Jan , 2019 12:11 pm

The tool offsets and materials are stored in a hidden windows file that must have read write access for all users.

C:\ProgramData\Denford

If you make sure this folder and sub folders has read write access then the tool library and offsets can then be saved and changed as required.

The second problem you mention is that Quick Turn 2 D Design is not using the tool library from your machine.

This is normal as the tool library is not linked. You have to select the correct tool and material data within QuickTURN 2D Design.
This is simple to do and allows any computer to be used to design parts to be taken to the lathe.

By default the MicroTurn basic tooling is selected in Quickturn 2D Design. You must select the correct tooling when you install the software.

To do this open the QuickTurn software.
Select the Options Menu
Select Load / Save Materials and tooling
Select the machine you want from the list in your case Turn 270PRO Recommended tooling
select materials.JPG
select materials.JPG (68.86 KiB) Viewed 10759 times
tools and materials.JPG
tools and materials.JPG (53.24 KiB) Viewed 10759 times
options.JPG
options.JPG (50.74 KiB) Viewed 10759 times

mike_skinner
VR Turning

Post by mike_skinner » Thu 17 Jan , 2019 17:11 pm

Thanks for the reply - will try that and report back,

Mike

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 17 Jan , 2019 17:13 pm

I am sure this will resolve things. Please let us know.

mike_skinner
VR Turning

Post by mike_skinner » Fri 18 Jan , 2019 17:45 pm

I simply don't have the option in QuickTURN to select the Turn270PRO_Recommended_Tooling.MML profiles.

There is only the Microturn_Basic_Tooling.MML

No Issues with loading the tool offsets in VR Turn.

Is this something to do with the install of Quickturn or something else? Have re-installed Quickturn to see if there was an option to select the Turn270 Pro, and am sure I chose this machine when installing VRTurn.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 18 Jan , 2019 18:03 pm

I would download the latest version of Quick Turn 2D Design from our website. Uninstall the old version then reinstall the downloaded version. We had changed the location that the tool library was stored. Give me a call at Denford on Monday if you are still having problems. Steve Oddy

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 18 Jan , 2019 18:17 pm

mike_skinner
VR Turning

Post by mike_skinner » Sun 20 Jan , 2019 18:43 pm

OK - thanks - Will give that a try

Mike

mike_skinner
VR Turning

Post by mike_skinner » Mon 21 Jan , 2019 15:43 pm

New version of Quickturn and we are now sorted - thankyou for the advice!
Mike

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Tue 22 Jan , 2019 11:21 am

Glad that has sorted it out.