Parting off code goes to deep/ignoring tool profile

A place to talk about QuickTURN 2D Design - our first Lathe CAD CAM software for a very long time.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Parting off code goes to deep/ignoring tool profile

Post by TDIPower » Mon 13 Mar , 2017 0:13 am

Hi,

Bit of a worrying find within the operation of the program.

Producing G code files in QT2DD I have found that it ignores the parting tool profile. The definition in the tool library states max part Dia is 30mm. This is definitely the physical limit of the tool, I have checked it. Producing drawings over 30mm in dia and it still writes code to part the piece off. Now if I ran this on the machine it would obviously be catastrophic.
Exploring the parameters for boring I have found it is over keen on clearance and is more than happy to not carry out a boring process if the hole is close (tweaking the parameters of the boring bar makes it possible though) so why is it allowing parting off to happen when the job is over 30mm dia?
I had wondered if it would limit the depth of the parting process to just become a grooving cut which is why I tried it.

I have got a work round for now for over 30mm dia, I will draw a grooving section, once its done that Ill finish the job with a hacksaw then turn it round and face it off. Although I am hopeful that as most jobs will be bored to 15-20mm dia that the parting tool will be able to do this.

Pete