Novaturn software V1.45

A place to talk about QuickTURN 2D Design - our first Lathe CAD CAM software for a very long time.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Gcodeman
Hardware/Software: VR turn V1.45

Novaturn software V1.45

Post by Gcodeman » Mon 26 Dec , 2016 13:40 pm

Hi. All.
Firstly let me introduce myself as a new member. I've just aquired a Novaturn lathe which has VR turn V1.45 installed as the control software. The problem I'm experiencing is that the tool definations and off sets that I establish in the tool library don't transfer to the available tools in the 2D design post processor, in fact the two tools that are active in the post processor ( RH rough and RH finish) do not have the same parameters as the corresponding tools in the VR turn tool library. I've been through all the manuals and have followed all the sequencies. Any help would be appreciated.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Novaturn software V1.45

Post by TDIPower » Mon 26 Dec , 2016 15:10 pm

There is a later version of VR available to download (1.47 http://www.denfordata.com/downloads/vrturningv1_47.zip) I think the 1st official response from Denford will be to install that. So it would be worth doing that and seeing how far you get and posting back.

Hope that helps

Pete

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Mon 26 Dec , 2016 18:11 pm

Hi. Pete.
I did load V1.47 but couldn't run it due to registration key issues, I've since obtained the Flash code so I'll try it again. Would you recommend clearing V1.45 or just over write it with V1.47 as all this is a bit of a learning curve.
Thanks.

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Tue 27 Dec , 2016 17:41 pm

I'm obviously doing something fundamentally wrong and the answer must be staring me in the face, but I can't over write the V1.45 with the V1.47 The control panel says I'm running V1.43 but VR Turn says I'm running V1.45 I've no problem writing and running a G code program with VR Turn, but of course I would like to run the 2D design, any advice would be welcomed. Thanks

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Tue 27 Dec , 2016 20:19 pm

I only have experience really of VR Milling, Never had a problem with the older V2 and V5 being installed on the same system (other than they both need different licence files VR2 not transferable to VR5).

My Lathe is a Starturn 5 and that's DOS based control!! I would love to get it upgraded on the control boards to be able to run VR turning, I bought 2d Design knowing the threading cycles won't work.

Looks like you will need to wait for someone with more experience, Sorry

Pete

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 29 Dec , 2016 0:20 am

Have you updated QuickCAM2D Design to the latest version?. All the locations of the shared files were updated a few months ago.

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Thu 29 Dec , 2016 10:01 am

Hi. Martin.
No I haven't, but I'll give it a go. I presume you just over write the version currently active. I've been having a thought about the fact I can't over write V1.45 with V1.47. I run Mach3 on my mill, but the version I run is a locked down version which can't be altered, is V1.45 a locked down piece of software?
Regards.

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Thu 29 Dec , 2016 12:16 pm

I've removed the old version of 2D design from the control panel and loaded the new version. I'm loading the software via the exe icon in the program file rather than using the screen short cut. I've done the same with VR Turn V1.47 and loading via exe. The result is that the drawn component is now larger on the screen, but the only two tools that are active in the post processer are two that I've defined (along with six others) and given off set values to in the tool library, Rough RH, Finish RH, but the parameters for these tools are different in the active library for the post processer than in the VR turn tool library. The tools in the library have all been re-defined and given off set values. All the tools are active in the tool library, as their colour codes are light. I can of course run hand written G code programs, so if I can't resolve this problem I can generate a straight forward turning program, then write screw cutting and parting routines to be called up to finish the cycle, but I feel sure there must be a simple answer. Thanks.

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Thu 29 Dec , 2016 18:02 pm

I'm away for a few days, so if anyone leaves helpful advice please don't be offended if I don't respond straight away. Thanks