Tooling Difficulties

A place to talk about QuickTURN 2D Design - our first Lathe CAD CAM software for a very long time.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

JohnTech
Hardware/Software: Windows XP (SP2)
1.8 pentium

QuickTURN 2D
Denford Mirac with 8 station tool-changer
Converted to MACH 3

Tooling Difficulties

Post by JohnTech » Fri 22 May , 2015 12:54 pm

I'm having difficulty with quickturn processing my drawings
When quickturn generates a cutting program, it is doing most of the operations with the parting off tool
rather than turning tools as one would expect.
I have tried re-defining the tools using different tips and angles to see if it is a problem with the geometry, but to little avail.
Can you help?

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Tooling Difficulties

Post by Steve » Thu 28 May , 2015 16:55 pm

The QuickTurn 2D Design software looks at all the points of a profile and decides whether it can get to the start and finish point of each segment of the profile with the turning tool if so the turning tool will then rough and finish that section.
Anything drawn that the turning tool cannot get to both the start point and the finish point would then be finished with the grooving tool.
Sometimes adding a point in a line will help reduce the amount the grooving tool has to do.

The best option is to design a part that the turning tool can reach the start and end point of the lines without the rear angle of the tool hitting the material.

What machine do you have and have you loaded the correct tooling file in the QuickTurn software.

I would not modify tool tip angles from what you actually have or you could end up with inaccurate parts.

JohnTech
Hardware/Software: Windows XP (SP2)
1.8 pentium

QuickTURN 2D
Denford Mirac with 8 station tool-changer
Converted to MACH 3

Post by JohnTech » Mon 01 Jun , 2015 8:20 am

Thanks for your reply

The machine we have is a Denford Mirac converted to run from Mach 3 software.
It helps to understand how the QuickTURN software works.
I had been altering the tool table data with different angles and tip lengths but with little success.
I will do some redrawing and add points in the lines to see if this makes a difference.

:D

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 01 Jun , 2015 8:25 am

post a screenshot of the profile and if possible the QuickTurn design and I will take a look.

You must have accurate representation of the tooling you are using including the tip radius otherwise parts will be inaccurate.