Quickturn trial version download?

A place to talk about QuickTURN 2D Design - our first Lathe CAD CAM software for a very long time.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

V8Goose
Hardware/Software: Sherline cnc lathe and mill.

Quickturn trial version download?

Post by V8Goose » Sat 23 Feb , 2013 21:44 pm

Hi...

Would someone please point me to the trial download of QuickTurn as I can't find it anywhere and would very much like to try it out on my Sherline cnc lathe.

Many thanks!

Goose

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Quickturn trial version download?

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 25 Feb , 2013 10:08 am

Just download the latest version from here:
http://website.denford.ltd.uk/index.php ... -downloads

It comes with a trial version seckey.tff license file. However, you won't be able to output any g-code.
We could probably send a sample of the standard g-code output if you can show us the kind of thing you're making?

V8Goose

Post by V8Goose » Mon 25 Feb , 2013 14:31 pm

Hi Admin...

Thanks for your reply.

I have recently bought a Sherline mill and lathe and whilst there are many good and reasonably priced softwares for my mill, lathe software it seems is a holy grail.

I have tried several beginning with the cheapest and as always, you get what you pay for.

I build and fly giant scale r/c aircraft (up to 1/3 scale) and intend on making custom parts that I'm not able to buy.

At this point and being so new to machining, I'm simply looking to prove my workflow from drawing a profile in CAD, importing it into a lathe CAM and making a small part with minimum effort. Once I'm happy that I can do that, I will purchase the software and get on with it.

Is there any way to achieve this with QuickTurn?

Many thanks

Goose

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 25 Feb , 2013 14:42 pm

Quickturn allows you to draw parts that can be turned which means it won't allow things like overhangs / undercuts.
Drawing profiles in another CAD system and importing into quickturn isn't very successful for those same reasons, along with the fact that you get lots of irrelevant data which can be confused with the actual profile you're aiming to machine.
Download it and have a go...you can draw something and simulate machining it accurately in 3D.
It's also worth noting that the g-code output can be altered slightly to suit none Denford machines, but threading is a special case and will only work properly on the latest Denford Lathes.

V8Goose

Post by V8Goose » Mon 25 Feb , 2013 15:29 pm

Thanks again... I'll give it a try.

I understand the additional challenges with cnc lathes and I'm careful during the profile creation to carefully consider what I'm asking it to do.

The Sherline is pretty generic regarding the g-code with the only things I'm changing being a metric setting and arc rotation.

I won't be threading on this machine.

Cheers

Goose