Questions for Denford Support on BetaV1.8 - center drill pek

A place to talk about QuickTURN 2D Design - our first Lathe CAD CAM software for a very long time.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

JSKRABA
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Questions for Denford Support on BetaV1.8 - center drill pek

Post by JSKRABA » Sun 20 Jan , 2013 20:07 pm

Hi
Spent alot of time with QT2D Design Beta 1.8 thiis weekend (snowed in) on V1.29 VrTurning on Novaturn (serial)
Couple of issues I have found. Not sure if these were issues in earlier versions

When using a centre drill even though it askes for pek depth it does not pek. I think its not using the correct Gcode.

In the Resore/backup window for tooling & materials the list of tools in a file (in right window) does not match what is in the file.

Still would like to open and run existing G-Code files in the simulator.

Regards JCS

JSKRABA
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Re: Questions for Denford Support on BetaV1.8 - center drill

Post by JSKRABA » Sun 20 Jan , 2013 21:55 pm

Just to add:
There is a similar problem with the parting/grooving tool, no peck. Very scarey with no pecking!
Sorry just realised the spelling of peck !

JCS

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 21 Jan , 2013 11:03 am

The grooving parting tool should not peck.

Provided the correct material is used or the feeds and speeds are edited to suit the material you are using.

Aluminium feeds and speeds are set for free chipping material 2011T3 If you use this grade there will be no problem.

If you use soft aluminium that wraps up like wire wool then pecking will not help.

Steel should be "leaded EN1A" otherwise feeds and speeds should be modified.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 21 Jan , 2013 11:22 am

I can't see why a centre drill would ever need to peck - does it need to for very hard materials ?

JSKRABA
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by JSKRABA » Mon 21 Jan , 2013 11:54 am

Hi
OK, about material type.
The peck for centre drill is for soft material and small drills to clear the swarf. CD's do not clear swarf well and clog and bind especially with Ally.
If a centre drill would never need to peck, why is that option in the material setting and what is it for?
I assumed if it was there and it did not peck there was a problem. Drill peck works very well.

Same question for parting tool, as it mostly cuts in the X it must clear swarf from a confined area (in a groove) for deep grooves/and parting/roughing the pecking would break the swarf if it wraped and help clear it.
When I manually groove or part I aways peck, always helps with this dificult tool with no coolant.
It is also in the settings so if it is not for peck feeding what is it for?

The parting/grooving tool is used alot for roughing and finishing if no left hand tool is fitted. even if one is available set for roughing and finishing the parting tool is still used apart from very small areas for finishing. Why is this?
With a LH Tool fitted and configured, if the Parting/G tool is not selected for use then no back finishing is done saying that it can only be done if a P/G tool is available for roughing. Why is this as the L.H tool is much better and produces a much better finish.

Regards JCS

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 21 Jan , 2013 12:21 pm

I have a feeling the grooving cycle used to use the pecking value but we found it would take far too long to machine something. We will look at it again and maybe add an option to peck or not to peck.
The centre drill probably has the peck option as it's based on a normal drill so again, we can probably add peck/not peck as an option.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 21 Jan , 2013 15:29 pm

Pecking can be turned on/off for drills and centre drills in 1.18 now:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3902

JSKRABA
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by JSKRABA » Tue 22 Jan , 2013 21:43 pm

HI
Like the mods to the Crt Drill Peck and also the options with drilling. That should sort out the Drilling issues
Will try these out in the next few days.

Parting/grooving.
I think it is a good feature to have Pecking with this tool especially as its used such alot for roughing. I have a near disaster on a piece designed in AQ2D when I had not asked for the job to be parted (in which case I would use a very slow feed) so I set the feed to something sensible for its roughing tasks. At one point it roughed out a 6mm deep bit in one plunge and knocked the work off centre due to its overhang. It recovered but the job was scrap. I should have checked in the Sym but I did not expect this. (FNL Files provided)
I still do not understand why this tool is used so much when a left hand tool is available which would eliminate this dificult tool from alot of roughing as per my last question.

The parting/grooving tool is used alot for roughing and finishing if no left hand tool is fitted. even if one is available set for roughing and finishing the parting tool is still used apart from very small areas for finishing. Why is this?
With a LH Tool fitted and configured, if the Parting/G tool is not selected for use then no back finishing is done saying that it can only be done if a P/G tool is available for roughing. Why is this as the L.H tool is much better and produces a much better finish.

Rounhead-ally.fnl - Deep unexpected plunge from Parting Tool and little or no use of LH Tool?
Chess2.fnl - Missing roughing on grooved area lots of work to do for the PTool and a massive cut on finishing.
I am trying to get a full understanding of the software its good bits and bad before I risk some important parts.
Am I missing something? JCS
Attachments
chess2.FNL
(7.37 KiB) Downloaded 801 times
roundhead-ally.fnl
(6.22 KiB) Downloaded 810 times

JSKRABA
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by JSKRABA » Tue 29 Jan , 2013 22:11 pm

Hi
Is any one else out there using V1.8 of QuickTURN 2D Design?
Any one else have opinions on my questions above, especially about the use of the grooving tool and the lack of use of the Left Hand tools?
Am I doing something wrong?

jCS

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 30 Jan , 2013 9:54 am

The decision to not make the back turning tool do roughing was taken before the software was written...probably due to the complexities of working out what would be left over by the front turning tool and how much of that can be reached by the back tool without crashing into the chuck jaws. Even after back roughing there will probably be some parts that require grooving - so why not just groove it all ?
You must remember that QuickTurn is a turning CAM system for educational use, and we've not seen any problems with the way it creates parts for those kinds of projects.
The more features and flexibility we add to the software means more chances that the students and teachers who use it will make a mistake.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 31 Jan , 2013 15:29 pm

We do not peck while parting as this is not required and can sometimes result in the insert being pulled out on the retract.

JSKRABA
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by JSKRABA » Tue 05 Feb , 2013 20:38 pm

Hi
Ok, understand reasons now, I should invest in a really good parting/grooving tool.
Thanks for explaining

JCS