information on Quickturn and early novaturn please

A place to talk about QuickTURN 2D Design - our first Lathe CAD CAM software for a very long time.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

information on Quickturn and early novaturn please

Post by audio.fi » Fri 17 Dec , 2010 16:41 pm

Hi,

I wrote a while back with a view to possibly purchasing quickturn 2D for use with my non-upgraded novaturn, to generate g-code to put into flstep that is actually controlling the machine.

I haven't really used it since buying it about 1.5 years ago, in fact only making one part with it, but at the time I was thinking of buying it (i.e. quickturn), someone from the forum, I think it was admin, said that is might not generate code correctly all of the time and that I might have to alter it sometimes.

Could anyone give me more specific info on this, i.e. what it would not work with, or is it a case of having to learn g-code to alter it anyway? Would I be fine for making simple items i.e. dimensioning, boring, grooving and threading .etc

Would I need a full upgrade of the boards for it to be even worth while thinking about buying quickturn ?

If this needs this to be done, it might be out of my reach financially, so what could anyone suggest to make g-code on my un-modified machine. I would simply like a draw-it type software i.e. what-you-see-is-what-you-get, that makes g-code compatible with the novaturn.

Is there any special type of g-code that the novaturn needs to be written, and is this why the newer quickturn might not work with it ?

I know I have asked some of these questions before, but thought there might be perhaps more ways round this i.e. newer software that might now work with it, or any other suggestions that you might not have thought of then.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. the control board is:-

Smartstep-3 and the chips on the circuit boards say :-

TDR154372 , 670407 and ESMINT 3.28 , V1.6H/S-JD5

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: information on Quickturn and early novaturn please

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 20 Dec , 2010 11:18 am

The main issue with Quickturn code will be threading - that more than likely won't work or output the same codes as your machine.
There must be plenty of free or cheaper options:
http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by audio.fi » Mon 20 Dec , 2010 13:28 pm

Thank you for writing back.

If Quickcam won't work because it requires a different set of fanuc, then how do I know what will work in non-Denford software ? Is the version on my Novaturn called something in particular so I can match it up with other software ?

Thanks.

P.S. I have had a look at the freebyte web site already (thanks very much for the link though), and the main problem is that many of these programmes are only for milling, but I'll have to keep looking.

Mach3 has a wizard section that does all I might want it to do, but again, how do I know if the code it makes will work. I'm a bit nervous something might crash into something if it is not compatible !!

Thanks you for any help you can give.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 20 Dec , 2010 16:14 pm

I think any simple turn post processor would be ok for the turn - the most common commands are the same with any G Code system, eg:

G00 - rapid
G01 - feed
M3 - spindle CW
M4 - spindle CCW
T01 M6 - change to tool 1
S2000 - set spindle to 2000 RPM

If you can get a program containing those basics, then all you may need to then do is add the less common initialization codes which set things like units (mm or inch; RPM or Surface speed), feedrate mode (mm per revolution or mm per minute) etc...

HTH

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by audio.fi » Mon 20 Dec , 2010 16:22 pm

Would I be right then in assuming that I do not need to change over to mach 3 to use these cam programmes in as much that as long as the g-code is correct, the current setup I have will work perfectly well, although it might be a bit slower (not a problem to me).

Thanks.

P.S. When you said quickturn would have a problem with threads, will I have any problem with other programmes with threads ?

Thanks.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 20 Dec , 2010 16:59 pm

I think that older Denford machines may a standard thread command, however, more recent machines created additional moves to pull in and out of the thread so this may conflict with the G codes and moves from other post processors.
We had to update the way our thread commands worked recently for QuickTurn to be able to create more flexible threads (ie, to stop our machines adding extra pull in, pull out moves)

Hopefully you can trial some lathe CAM software, and see if it'll run on your machine