Problems Since Upgrading To VR Milling 5.54.0.630

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Phil
Hardware/Software: QuickCam 2D
QuickCam Pro
VR Milling 5
Denford Vertical Router

Problems Since Upgrading To VR Milling 5.54.0.630

Post by Phil » Thu 31 Oct , 2013 11:29 am

I am experiencing problems since upgrading to VR Milling 5.54.0.630. I am using a Vertical Router.

I have an fnc file (produced with Quickcam 2D Design) which I use repeatedly. Mostly it runs fine but occasionally the Z-Axis will change whilst the machine is cutting. The Z-Axis changes so the cutter gradually cuts deeper. I have to emergency stop the machine to save the timber/sacraficial board. Resetting the Z-Axis in the Tool And Offset Editor resolves the problem.

Another problem is the manual feed rate will not go over 100%.

I assume this is related to the upgrade. The feed rate error is consistent and clearly a result of the upgrade.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar? How might I resolve this (or should I revert to old version)?

Thanks Phil

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Problems Since Upgrading To VR Milling 5.54.0.630

Post by Martin » Thu 31 Oct , 2013 13:05 pm

What version of VRMilling were you running from Phil?

With you saying, "Resetting the Z-Axis in the Tool And Offset Editor resolves the problem" I would think that the tool is moving in the collet. Make sure the collet & the tool are the correct size & fully clamped. I have seen 6mm tools fitted in a 1/4" collet that then pull out when used. Most routers go out with imperial collets.

Phil
QuickCam Pro
VR Milling 5
Denford Vertical Router

Post by Phil » Fri 01 Nov , 2013 10:25 am

I think the previous version was VR Milling 5.1xx.

Could the tool moving in the collet be the problem? I slapped my head when I read your suggestion but I have my doubts:
1. The tool would have to be moving out of the collet against the force
2. The tool seems seated fine after the problem
3. I never experienced this before the software upgrade and other problems (feed rate) suggest a software problem

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 01 Nov , 2013 11:42 am

If it's that old it could have different setting for contouring which could effect the axis.

You said the only way to reset it was buy changing the offsets so either the tool has moved or the pulleys are slipping. If you are using a spiral fluted cutter then it would pull it's way out with the force unless fully clamped in the spindle. The easiest way to check is to run the program then home the machine & see if the Z axis relocates.

Phil
QuickCam Pro
VR Milling 5
Denford Vertical Router

Post by Phil » Fri 01 Nov , 2013 13:00 pm

Thanks for your help.

I am using a straight cutter.

You seem convinced this is not a software problem. Presumably there are many people using this release with this router and no one else is experiencing these problems. Is that correct?

It would be a coincidence that a physical problem (loose tool, slipping pulleys) starts upon a software upgrade (that itself seems problematic - feed rate).

I am happy to concede that I need to be more certain that the tool is not moving in the collet.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 01 Nov , 2013 13:26 pm

The Vertical Router is fitted with servo motors with a inbuilt encoder. If the axis motor miss positioned then the control would error out with a following error. If it is not mechanical,(pulleys/tools slipping) then after the error homing the Z axis should reset the position correctly. If it is then in a different position something must have moved. It may be worth installing the original software & making a note of the feed parameters & then checking against 5.54.

Phil
QuickCam Pro
VR Milling 5
Denford Vertical Router

Post by Phil » Mon 04 Nov , 2013 12:22 pm

I have just experienced the Z-Axis problem again and guess what - you were correct with your first suggestion that the tool is moving in the collet.

It is somewhat related to the upgrade in that I chnaged the material step down after the upgrade (to reduce 3 cuts to 2 using 12mm straight cutter). Previously it was 50% and I changed it to 70%. This 20% seems to be the difference between a stable and moving tool.

Presumably the inability to manually move the Feed Rate over 100% is entirely unrelated. Should I start another thread for this?

Thanks for your help.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 04 Nov , 2013 16:36 pm

It sounds strange that the feed pot is limited to 100%.

The software should be the same so I would guess at a faulty potentiometer.

Phil
QuickCam Pro
VR Milling 5
Denford Vertical Router

Post by Phil » Tue 05 Nov , 2013 12:06 pm

I don't think it is the potentiometer.

The potentiometer will turn to indicate up to 150% when not running (this is when "Home" is selected or when "Auto" is selected but before "Start" is pressed). As soon as "Start" is pressed only 100% and lower are possible.

This was not the case before the upgrade.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 05 Nov , 2013 15:04 pm

I will check this next time we have a Vertical Router in the factory. It does sound strange.