Z axis problem

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

mandor2013
Hardware/Software: Triac, VRMilling.

Z axis problem

Post by mandor2013 » Fri 15 Feb , 2013 18:10 pm

I recently obtained a Denford Triac. The machine has at some point been upgraded to USB control. I have setup a new PC (Windows 7) to control it and have installed the current version of VR Milling. When I tested the new PC with the TRIAC the X axis, Y axis and spindle control work but the Z axis fails to home (there is no movement in the Z axis and I believe it was already homed). An error message stating the operation timed out is displayed after the Z axis position in the GUI increments. The Z axis does not move under manual jog control.

The Triac was working with a PC that came with the mill (running an older version of VR Milling). I will try the old PC on Monday but was hoping the forum could suggest steps to fix the issue. Should I clean the home switch as suggested by the error message help?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Z axis problem

Post by Martin » Sat 16 Feb , 2013 8:56 am

Try the secret home button then see if it jogs.

If it fails to jog then check the drives in the rack to make sure the Z has not slid out. You could also change the Z with the X to try.

Failing that remove the top colum cover plate & check that the Z axis motor is energised.

mandor2013
Hardware/Software: Triac, VRMilling.

Re: Z axis problem

Post by mandor2013 » Sun 17 Feb , 2013 16:37 pm

Thanks for the pointers. It was, however, cleaning the home switch that fixed the problem.