Convert A Sherline over to VR Milling.

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Jeff_HATC

Convert A Sherline over to VR Milling.

Post by Jeff_HATC » Tue 25 Oct , 2011 22:00 pm

I have a Micromill 2000 with vr milling. Excellent combination to start students on.

The school bought two Sherline 5400 mills (as opposed to Denford) because they are so much cheaper.

The Sherlines have Linux OS with EMC2 control software. This would be ok for a hobby guy at home.

But trying to teach on this just isn't working...plus the continual problems have just put me to my limits.

The Sherlines have stepper motors and are all parallell port based.

Is there anyway to switch these things over so they will run the denford VR milling software (which appears to be a serial based setup??)

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Convert A Sherline over to VR Milling.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 26 Oct , 2011 8:51 am

Is there anyway to switch these things over so they will run the denford VR milling software
Unfortunately not.
Projects like EMC and Mach create stepper pulses inside the PC and send them out via the parallel port (and also USB based breakout boards)
This is completely different to the way VR Milling talks to the Baldor control cards - we send move commands to the board it and takes care of the step output.
That's why our machines are more expensive - the Baldor control we use is a quite expensive motion controller, but it works really well and is reliable.

There are other control systems you could try like Mach or DeskCNC which may be easier to teach.

Jeff_HATC

Post by Jeff_HATC » Wed 26 Oct , 2011 11:56 am

Kind of figured that, but thanks for the run down. When it comes time to purchase again....knowing why Denford machines are more expensive will help me to sell/justify the cost. Thanks.

PS I would be SOL :cry: without this forum. Thanks to you and the Denford company for keeping the forum alive and successful

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 26 Oct , 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks !

PS Never seen that one before - SOL