Modernising a TRIAC

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

01djohn
Hardware/Software: Triac (~1986)

Modernising a TRIAC

Post by 01djohn » Tue 19 Oct , 2010 12:35 pm

Hi folks

I have an old (1986ish( little used TRIAC and I would love to be able to have it updated to run on modern design software so I could take it into school and have the kids use it for F1 amongst other things.

Do Denford (or anyone else) do an upgrade package that I could fit so our Inventor design work can be downloaded and machined.

By fiddling about I have established that all the motors are working, but don't fancy my chances trying to get my pupils to program using G codes.

Any help / advice would be much appreciated.

John

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Modernising a TRIAC

Post by Steve » Tue 19 Oct , 2010 14:51 pm

Hi,

You could buy QuickCAM PRO which would convert the inventor files into CNC G Code.

The problem you will have with a machine of this age is that the machine has to complete every move before processing the next. As a result any 3 D program which may have hundreds of thousands of moves would take for ever. Modern machines have a continuous path capability which merges all the moves into one unless the axis has to slow down to reverse.

Also it is not ideal to cut wood on the milling machines as the dust dries up the slideways and damages the ballscrews. :(

What you realy need is a router.

Good Luck!

01djohn
Hardware/Software: Triac (~1986)

Post by 01djohn » Tue 19 Oct , 2010 16:31 pm

Thanks for that - I appreciate from what you say that this machine is not ideally suited to the job although we do have really good dust extraction piped thrp the workshop so I might be able to at least partly alleviate that problem. Is it possible to replace the control electronics to allow continuous path function, in other words retain the motors and chassis but upgrade the control system??

Thanks again

John

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 19 Oct , 2010 16:51 pm

I think your vintage is too old to be upgraded.
If it looks like this it could be upgraded with Denford software
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1763&start=0

If it's older and has something like a NEE or GSM control (?) then you'd only be able to upgrade/retrofit to something like Mach 3 (other options are available....EMC which runs on Linux, or TurboCNC which I think is DOS)

mackhubs

Post by mackhubs » Fri 10 Dec , 2010 21:19 pm

Hi,
I have the denford triac pc, serial no. 30623 G, despatch date, sept 1993, serial no of electrics OC A00078, ESMINT 3.28. The machine has toolchanger. I would like to do upgrade this milling machine.
I would like to ask for help how to do it?
I think whether better convert machine to Mach 3 whether it can better do ugr 0007? I read that ugr 0007 do your engineer, however I live in Poland and therefore can be a problem with it. Very much I care about the modernization of this machine and I would ask for advice how is possible to do it.
I have the engineer which is servicing machines for me and he could install UGR.

Thanks
Maciej

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 13 Dec , 2010 10:08 am

It may be possible to upgrade this Triac to the USB control card - I need to check with someone here
If it can be done, the benefit is really good for that machine and we have done them for professional workshops (ie, not just for education) in the past.
The issue is probably down to the cost of UGR being around GBP 1000
You can upgrade to Mach for less money, but it will probably involve much more time and effort to retrofit - whereas our upgrade should be a simple case of swapping the control card, mounting a USB bulkhead fitting and cable then installing VR milling v5.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 13 Dec , 2010 17:29 pm

I don't think we would be able to offer the UG0007 upgrade for this machine. I presume due to it's age (1986) that it will be fitted with a NEE LCB3 card.

mackhubs

Post by mackhubs » Mon 20 Dec , 2010 20:11 pm

Denford Admin wrote:It may be possible to upgrade this Triac to the USB control card - I need to check with someone here

Maybe have you checked whether I can do upgrade Triac to the USB control card.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 21 Dec , 2010 11:34 am

don't think we would be able to offer the UG0007 upgrade for this machine. I presume due to it's age (1986) that it will be fitted with a NEE LCB3 card.
You'd have top confirm the control type - upload a photo of the electronics...

mackhubs

Post by mackhubs » Tue 21 Dec , 2010 19:14 pm

I send a photos of electronics my machine.
Attachments
DF1.jpg
DF1.jpg (152.31 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DF2.jpg
DF2.jpg (146.25 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DF3.jpg
DF3.jpg (126.96 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DF4.jpg
DF4.jpg (135.66 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DF5.jpg
DF5.jpg (149.53 KiB) Viewed 9816 times

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 22 Dec , 2010 12:11 pm

Hi Maciej

Yes your Triac Pc will upgrade using the UGR0007 kit.

The kit includes a rack controller card plus internal USB plug & cables & VR CNC Milling 5 software (single seat)

It would require a hole in the side of the cabinet for the USB bulk head fitting & may need the speed & feed overide pots changing to the 5 Volt supply (originally 12 volts if fitted)