VR Milling Ver 5 on a Network

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

VR Milling Ver 5 on a Network

Post by bradders » Wed 22 Feb , 2006 15:13 pm

How do I set up VR Milling Ver 5 on a Network?

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Wed 22 Feb , 2006 15:14 pm

The students need access to the \documents and settings\allusers because the config files are saved in \documents and settings\allusers\application data\denford\configm

As administrator Loaded VR Milling 5 onto C:\programfiles\denford\vrmilling5\

Logged off as administrator and had the student log on
EDIT - Ignore miluser for VRMilling v5...see further down for latest info
RUN C:\miluser.exe as administrator and run the program pointing it to students user directory.

VR 5 Runs but the when saving the tool library or
offsets VR 5 try’s to write to C:\documents and settings\allusers\applicationdata\denford\alloffsets.MOF this is
not allowed for standard users of XP

So it would appear that I need to edit an ini file to have VR5 write the data to the student area.. BUT WHERE !!!!! I have not a clue at the moment.

In MillingUser.ini

; User Install setup file
; Used to automate Network installations of VR milling
; and 3D superscape installation
;
; Default Destination is the directory to install user files to
; Default Shortcut Name is the name of the shortcut that is created
; -both in Start Menu\Programs\Denford and in the destination directory
; Use Defaults says whether to prompt for the above names or not
; -0 is prompt user ; 1 is don't prompt
;
; AutoMillSetup will automatically run the milling setup when run
; - 0 is don't run ; 1 is auto run
; Auto3DSetup will automatically run the 3D superscape setup when run
; Order is always Install milling then install 3D

[Defaults]
Default Destination=N:\Denford\VRMilling
Default Shortcut Name=VR Milling User
Use Defaults=0
AutoMillSetup=0
Auto3DSetup=0
AutoDongleSetup=0

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 04 Aug , 2006 9:24 am

I'm not sure I'd worry too much about running MilUser- this is quite an old network installation tool now, which is out of date now to the latest software

With the latest version of VR Milling 5 the software tries its best to get changable files from their original location, and store them into the USERS own documents and settings folder
If your having trouble configuring the software for a network then:

1. Make sure you have the latest software update
2. the users documents and settings folder must be read-write enabled for the user eg, C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\Application Data\Denford
3. the allusers folder also needs to be writable - this is where data that must remain the same is held
eg, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Denford
For example, the tool and offsets data is held here as you only want to set these up once per installation.
If this folder is not writable by the student user, then that may be a good thing !
4. All our latest software looks for the settings file (eg, VRMIlling5.ini ; QuickCAMPro.ini in the user application data folder first - if it can't find one here, it will use the default one from the program files directory and then save it to the users application data folder

Benny
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

VR MILLING 5.** - Network

Post by Benny » Fri 17 Nov , 2006 23:34 pm

Trying to load 5 seats of VR 5.13 on a network. Just using in Computer setting as the one computer hooked up to machine works just fine with no problems (it is a stand alone setting).

The software that is loaded on 5 different computers work fine with Staff rights. But, with student rights the students can only open the software, they cannot see the file folders and won't allow any saving to H drive (the drive students are allowed to use). Tried the suggestions on the website, but the suggestions did not work. IT person needs help fast! Thanks!

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Sun 19 Nov , 2006 22:58 pm

I can't see why the file open dialog would not allow them to see the H drive - its a standard windows dialog which dosn't do anything different to running windows file explorer.

VR Milling makes use of functions within shell32.dll to obtain the profiles' folder locations, eg asking for CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA should return something like: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data in XP... Its down to the configuration of the profile to make these point to the correct place so the OS can return the correct folder location.

Are the students able to open a file from File -> Open... ?
Or are you having problems with opening and saving tooling files ?

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 28 Feb , 2008 9:39 am

Craig in Montana has kindly supplied a pdf document which summarises the above info, and includes some changes he had to make to the schools network settings...

http://www.denfordata.com/pdfs/vrmillin ... etwork.pdf (161Kb PDF file)

monttodd

Re: VR Milling Ver 5 on a Network with windows 7

Post by monttodd » Sun 29 Aug , 2010 21:42 pm

I am getting ready to install VRMilling on a network the uses Windows 7. What is the file path in Windows 7 that is the equivalent to the Windows XP filepath C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Denford.

I want to make the allsets.mof file so that all users can read and write to it.

I appreciate your help.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Re: VR Milling Ver 5 on a Network

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 01 Sep , 2010 9:27 am

I presume it will be the same as Vista:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2894&hilit=programdata