Cannot move the tool in x, y or Z

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Wheezy

Cannot move the tool in x, y or Z

Post by Wheezy » Tue 07 Oct , 2008 11:23 am

Hi,

New to this forum so this is probably a numpty question :oops:

We have a triac PC mill and want to use it for 3D machining. Currently I can get a Pro D drawing into Quickcam Pro and generate a fnc file that begins to run but then immediately stops due to over exceed limits error. However, I'm fairy sure I'd set up the billet ok as I had sacraficial material underneath and it was within the machine envelope.

So, yesterday I upgraded the VR software (to 2.31.3.951) and now I can home the machine, get the spindle to turn but cannot move the tool in x,y or z, in either continuous or jog mode. A message came up initially about 'mint' cannot remeber exactly the message as it only popped up once, but something like 'download new mint from pc'. to which I clickled yes.

Any ideas from the Denford massive what I am / have done wrong? :(

Many thanks,

Wheezy

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 09 Oct , 2008 8:55 am

I'm pretty sure that you should not have had to upgrade the mint program, so it could be to do with that.
Have you got the correct machine selected in VR Milling ? (it should tell you on the very top bar of the VR application)

The only other thing I can think is it could be to do with feedrate pots as the machine will still home, but not jog with the feed override at 0%
It could be a mix up in parameters so the s/w thinks you have a feed pot when you don't or vice-versa (again is the right machine selected?).

Wheezy

Post by Wheezy » Thu 09 Oct , 2008 9:52 am

We've re-installed the old software (2.29) But the same thing is happening! :( We have Triac selected although there is a TriacNS option (don't think that it's that one - ours is a Triac PC)

What is the Mint program and what do we need to do to revert back to the old mint?

Many thanks,

Wheezy

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 09 Oct , 2008 9:59 am

Found some old notes on getting a mint to download to the card and updated it for your machine:
Firstly - make sure any other Denford software is closed and disconnected from the machine
Then run the file: MintMan.EXE which is located in the VR Milling installation directory (C:\Program Files\Denford\VRMilling)
Go to menu Setup -> Comm Port
Set the parameters to:
COM 1 (whichever machine is plugged into)
Baud: 19200
Parity: None
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 2
Handshaking: none
Press OK
Press Upload Version button
If it connects to control OK and finds the mint version, you can now download the .mnt file for your machine
Click Download Mint
Should be: C:\Program Files\Denford\VRMilling\Triac.mnt

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 09 Oct , 2008 10:01 am

Have you had a look at the feedrate override shown in the software ?

Also - what is the jog feed slider set to ?

Wheezy

Post by Wheezy » Thu 09 Oct , 2008 10:57 am

We have tried the procedure mentioned in the last post. Still having no joy. :cry:

The jog feed, we have tried at differnet speeds. It still has made no difference.

Many Thanks

Wheezy

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 09 Oct , 2008 11:09 am

Have you tried running a program ?

There is nothing wrong with the axes electrrically or mechanically as they are homing out ok...
Nothing wrong with jog speed or feed override (check this in Auto tab)...

Have you got the word Jog tab to light up green when you try moving the axes ?
Are you using the cursor keys to jog ? Do you think anyone may have altered the jog keys (this can be done from menu setup>jog keys)

Wheezy

Post by Wheezy » Thu 09 Oct , 2008 12:16 pm

We tried changing the keys to other ones but this made no difference. In auto mode the 2 sliders are greyed out. We currently cannot run a program which was the reason why we updated the software in the first place as we thought it would help. :cry:

The VR software was fine until we installed the V2.31

You're right, we are communicating with the machine as it can home and we can control the spindle speed.

It did lock up yesterday and we got an error mesdsage during the home command. It said:
acess violation at address 005BB58E in module 'windmill.exe. read of adress 000000000000

Part of the problem?

It never rains, but it pours :cry:

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 09 Oct , 2008 12:19 pm

If the 2 sliders are greyed out, then it means the software is using the "real" override pots on the machine.
They should still move up and down on screen, as you twiddle the real pots ?

I'd ignore the access violation - they tend to appear in the older s/w when you are doing extra-ordinary things !

Wheezy

Post by Wheezy » Thu 09 Oct , 2008 14:11 pm

Denford Admin wrote:If the 2 sliders are greyed out, then it means the software is using the "real" override pots on the machine.
They should still move up and down on screen, as you twiddle the real pots ?!
Just checked and the sliders do move on the screen when the pots are turned.

Wheezy

Post by Wheezy » Thu 09 Oct , 2008 14:20 pm

Ok, just ran a program and it did start to run and I can now move the tool in x, y and Z :fireworks: :fireworks:

Thanks for your help.

Wheezy