Access violation at address 005C1C5B

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

gcfe

Access violation at address 005C1C5B

Post by gcfe » Thu 30 Mar , 2006 15:45 pm

Hi,

I'm using VR CNC Milling version 5.12.0.304. When I click on the "select real machine" button there is a brief pause and then I get a message box up with "Error" in the title and: "Access violation at address 005C1C5B in module 'VRMilling5.exe'. Read of address 00000000" I get the same error if the CNC machine is not connected.

If I have Denford RS232 Comms running in recieve mode and then switch the CNC machine on I get 'Triac VME MintV5 (c)Denford Ltd' displayed on screen.

I'm running it on a workstation with a normal unnetworked Windows XP Pro with SP2 install.

The COM port settings i'm using are:
COM1
Baud Rate: 57600
Parity: None
Data Bits: 8
Stop Bits: 1
HW Flow: None
SW Flow: None
The connection from the CNC machine to the workstation uses a cable to convert the 25 pin connection to a 9 pin one to attach to the workstation.

Anyone know where I'm going wrong, are the COM port settings correct?

Thanks,

Ian

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 30 Mar , 2006 16:31 pm

Its to do with a problem I have located and fixed now in 5.13 (coming soon :wink: )

I have a feeling that the control type in:
Setup -> machine parameters -> denny -> communications
has changed to 7 because it couldn't find the control as type 9 at some time previously, the access violation though is not allowing the software to continue searching in order to find it as control type 9

I have reproduced the same error address here with it set to 7, works OK if I change it back manually to 9 (with only RS232 connected - no USB)

gcfe

Post by gcfe » Thu 30 Mar , 2006 16:53 pm

Dont you mean the other way around. A new topic appeared just after I posted my topic "VR Milling Ver5.** communication setting Nos" which says that for RS232 comms you need to set it to 7 and for USB to 9.

I went and tried it by setting to 7 and authough it still came up with the same error, it did seem to take a lot longer and was doing more before it came up with the error.

Any idea when the 5.13 software will be released?

Ian

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 30 Mar , 2006 17:08 pm

Does your Triac rack-upgrade card have a USB connection ?
If it does try that.

Like I say, I got the exact same error when I tried control type 7 with only RS232 cable connected. OK with type 9.

Try turning on debug mode and let us know what is happening:
find VRMilling5.ini in:
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Application Data\Denford
and change:
MintDebug=false
to
MintDebug=true

gcfe

Post by gcfe » Thu 30 Mar , 2006 17:21 pm

It's displaying messages like this after turning debugging on:

Trying Controller NextStep 5035
Connecting to COM:1 Baud:57600
Failed !
Connecting to COM:1 Baud:115200
Failed !
Connecting to COM:1 Baud:19200
Failed !
Connecting to COM:1 Baud:38400
Failed !
Connecting to COM:2 Baud:57600
Failed !
Connecting to COM:2 Baud:115200
Failed !
Connecting to COM:2 Baud:19200
Failed !
Connecting to COM:2 Baud:38400
Failed !
Connecting to COM:1 Baud:57600
Failed !
Connecting to COM:1 Baud:115200
Failed !
Connecting to COM:1 Baud:19200
Failed !
Connecting to COM:1 Baud:38400
Failed !
Connecting to COM:2 Baud:57600

I could only get that part of the output because when it gets firther it gets the exception box and that debug window disappears.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 31 Mar , 2006 9:11 am

Because its trying NextStep 5035, that tells me that you have the control type set to 7
If the firmware is 5035, then you use control type 7
If the firmware is above 5035 then it is control type 9
Download EasyUpgrader from here...

When you install and run this, it will find your machine and tell us what firmware you have in there (as long as there isn't a problem with the RS232 comms/cable :!: )
Let us know what it is first before updating anything

[/b]
Last edited by Denford Admin on Mon 11 Dec , 2006 17:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gcfe

Post by gcfe » Fri 31 Mar , 2006 9:37 am

I've installed EasyUpdater. When I run it it says that "A suitable Denford Machine" could not be found.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 31 Mar , 2006 10:43 am

It can only be a problem with one of the following, we just need to eliminate them as best we can:

Transmit RS232 cabling (as the recieve appears to be working)
- check all wires are intact right from the PC, through the cabinet connectors and to the control card.

The port on the PC, or on the control card is faulty - try another port on the PC - or another PC - only need to run EasyUpgrader as this will always find a machine if connected.

The firmware on the control has been lost - what does the green 7-segment display read ? although I don't think its this as it sound like the Mint logic is running because you see the Mint v5 message from the comms.

Does the USB (if fitted) connection work ?

If all this looks OK then we need to sort out an exchange control card

gcfe

Post by gcfe » Fri 31 Mar , 2006 13:59 pm

After opening up the unit we have found that this machine has been upgraded and has a USB connection (it was covered up on the front).

It has now successfully connected and in easyUpdater it says:

My Machine
Firmware: 5216
FPGA: 17
CPLD: 4
Comms: 3
Machine ID: unknown
Serial No: ??????/???

Current Versions
Firmware: 5331
FPGA: 17
CPLD: 4
Comms: 3

We have not yet updated it.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 31 Mar , 2006 14:06 pm

Great news,

Let the upgrader do its job - the latest firmware will be OK

If you then make sure control type is 9, then connect VR Milling via the USB and way you go :D

gcfe

Post by gcfe » Fri 31 Mar , 2006 14:18 pm

Thanks, We now have control of the Triac and can control it using VR CNC Milling.

A few other questions:
- Are we able to use the Desktop Tutor to control the Triac at the same time as using the software?
- There are several sample CNC programs supplied with VR CNC Milling, should we be able to run any of them with our machine or will some only work with specific machines?

Thanks,

Ian

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 31 Mar , 2006 15:03 pm

I'll start a new post about these so its easier to find again