VR Milling Simulation Offsets

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

NylonAdmiral
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

VR Milling Simulation Offsets

Post by NylonAdmiral » Wed 03 Dec , 2008 16:26 pm

I have a Starmill and I'm using VR Milling V2.32.3.951 (Latest version available from your website)
I am using the "metric" example program as detailed in the VR Milling manual.

The problem I have is that I don't seem to be able to set any simulation offsets. If I load and run the saved .fnc the 3D simulation works fine. If I try and run the same .fnc file in the VR machine it gives me the error message: "Machine Error: Move Exceeds Limits". I understand this is because there is no simulation offset for the VR machine. However when I click on the "offsets" button the form that appears is different from the one pictured in the manual.
I have read all the relevant sections in the manual and spent some length of time trawling the forums and relevant articles, and don't seem to be able to resolve this. I'm fairly sure this more down to me doing something stupid rather than any fault of the software!

The two attached .jpg's show both the offsets form as detailed in the manual, and the form as it appears on my screen. You will see that the one on my screen doesnt seem to have any simulation offsets, nor as far as I can see the facility to set any?

I'm sorry if this is one of those annoying questions you get all the time which has a really obvious solution but perhaps you could please shed some light on this subject, any help would be greatly apprectiated!

Many thanks

Adam
Attachments
offset.JPG
The offsets form as it appears on my screen.
offset.JPG (14.31 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
Offset1.JPG
The offsets form as it appears in the VR milling manual.
Offset1.JPG (43.31 KiB) Viewed 2993 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 04 Dec , 2008 10:40 am

I can't remember the reason why, but the simulation offsets were removed (obviously the manual wasn't updated) - think they were causing too much confusion with teachers.
So, any of the offsets available can be activated for the real machine, or the VR one.
I have just opened a VR machine, jogged the tool to the workpiece and set the work offsets by clicking on the X,Y and Z datum button in the Work Piece Offsets window (even though it says Machine Offset:). This then allowed the VR machine to simulate a program.
So, you just need to create additional offsets for use in VR and on the real machine and try not to get them confused! (right click on the offset tree to add / copy etc)

HTH