another "exceeds limits" error message

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

charcoal

another "exceeds limits" error message

Post by charcoal » Sun 22 Jun , 2008 1:24 am

Before you suggest it, yes I have looked through the posted subjects relating to exceeds limits error messages and read the suggestions. I have to confess that I am still just as confused as ever. Am getting said message for the Y axis. Just what are the Y limits (in mm please)? Is this an error that I am generating in Quick Cam 3D? Have looked through the program code and noticed that the lines with the errors have values larger that the billet size. Tried going back through QuickCam and rechecked billet/model sizes, still getting error. The model and billet sizes are X159.497 Y154.314 Z30. Any suggestions please? Incidently, what is the suggested feed rate for radiata pine? Using 6mm ball nose cutter. Thank you.

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Mon 23 Jun , 2008 8:04 am

We need the Denford machine type to tell you what the Y axis limit is

Have you any hidden or spurious lines on your original design that may be causing the out of limits mesage once it has gone through Quickcam pro ?

In the simulation mode does the program run ok?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 23 Jun , 2008 9:11 am

Its quite easy for QuickCAM to produce moves outside the billet with certain machining strategies.
Raster, for example, will turn around at the end of each pass - outside the billet.
Other plans may generate surface blending moves that run outside the billet.

If you have version 5 VR Milling, then the best way to find out where the problem is, is by using the blue quick info button. This shows the machines working envelope, and where the program is going to send the cutter (taking into account the current work offsets you have set)

Whichever version of VR milling and QuickCAM you have, make sure it is the very latest version from here:
http://www.website.denford.ltd.uk/suppo ... -downloads

charcoal

eceeding Y axis limits

Post by charcoal » Mon 23 Jun , 2008 12:07 pm

Appologies, am using Compact 1000, VR Milling version 5.14, QuickCam3D version 3.5.0.61. The program runs fine in the QuickCam simulation, it is when I try to run it in the simulation in VR Milling that I get the error messages. I have tried changing the raster angle and all I succeeded in doing was to get the error message occuring near the end of the simulation (line 24976 or so) rather than at the start (line 71). I note that from the Compact 1000s specs, that the Y travel limit is 240mm, is this the same as the axis limit?

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 23 Jun , 2008 12:14 pm

The limit to travel is matched to the table so 240mm is the limit in Y.

The problem could be related to where on the bed you have set the Datum!

As already stated the axes can move outside the billet to get the correct aproach angle to a cut and this may be the problem.

If you click the Blue information button at the bottom left of the VR milling screen with the program in question in the editor then the toolpath is displayed in relation to the working envelope.

you may have to move the Billet forward or back and reset the datum.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 23 Jun , 2008 12:16 pm

The compact 1000 Y axis can move 240mm maximum.
Don' forget though, that figure is only when you have set the Y work offset (datum) with the tool at the very front of the table.

On this machine, the tool will travel pretty much anywhere within the boundaries of the aluminium table.

The simulation uses completely different offset values to the real machine (for various reasons) see these other topics:
viewtopic.php?t=1549
viewtopic.php?t=1503