INSTALL SOFTWARE ON PC WITH NO FLOPPY (3 1/2") DISC

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

INSTALL SOFTWARE ON PC WITH NO FLOPPY (3 1/2") DISC

Post by Steve » Thu 25 May , 2006 13:20 pm

My computer does not have a 3.5" floppy disc drive. How can I install software when the registration key is on a disc?

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 25 May , 2006 13:23 pm

The Registration files supplied on the floppy disc with the machines can be copied on another computer and saved to a network, flash disc etc.

When installing the licence file you can browse to another location.

MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A COPY OF THE REGISTRATION DISC AND STORE IN A SAFE PLACE! YOU WILL BE CHARGED IF YOU LOOSE OR DAMAGE THE ORIGIONAL. :!:

keith.wright

Post by keith.wright » Thu 20 Sep , 2007 12:26 pm

Most desktop machines can have a 3.5 drive fitted and they are very cheap.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 24 Sep , 2007 10:49 am

Although they can be retro- fitted, some motherboards now come with ONLY a SATA interface and no IDE, which you need to be sure about before buying (SATA floppies are available, but more expensive).

Probably the best solution is to buy a USB floppy drive which can then be used on any PCs now and in the future.

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Mon 24 Sep , 2007 11:26 am

Probably the best solution is to buy a USB floppy drive which can then be used on any PCs now and in the future.
didn't they say that about 8inch floppy discs? :mrgreen:
Self Catering Lodges in Central France with covered pool & large grounds
www.la-coterie.com

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 24 Sep , 2007 11:35 am

well, when I say future I mean the next couple of years...

I must admit, our use of floppy disks for registration codes is worrying at the moment as the only way to replace them seems to be with USB memory keys
These are way too expensive (pounds not pence) and too easily lost / stolen

If anyone has any suggestions on how to provide small, unique files to our customers, then I'm all ears :idea:

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Mon 24 Sep , 2007 13:44 pm

If anyone has any suggestions on how to provide small, unique files to our customers, then I'm all ears
a USB key tied to a house brick :mrgreen:

or why not use a CD or DVD? ok so there's a load of space left - put a powerpoint sales ad on there
Self Catering Lodges in Central France with covered pool & large grounds
www.la-coterie.com

Benny
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Registration Code and Floppy Drive

Post by Benny » Tue 29 Jan , 2008 20:16 pm

Find a computer with a floppy drive (or use external floppy drive). Copy the registration codes onto separate folders on a flash drive and use the flash drive to install the codes. When the window comes up for the registration codes, click on the floppy option and click OK (next). Use the browse to direct the computer to the flash drive and click on the secKey.tff file. The computer should find and install it automatically. Copy and write the SecKey.tff file to a cd for safe keeping and store someplace on your harddrive as well.