Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B - Back gear removal

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B - Back gear removal

Post by dazz » Sat 14 Oct , 2006 10:44 am

Hi

The shaft below the spindle holds the mating back gears and the belt drive. The shaft screws in. Remove by using a large bladed scewdriver. Note the dark sludge on the shaft that used to be grease.

The shaft holds a compound gear. A single gear is held in place on the compound gear with a large cir-clip.

It should just push out but mine wouldn't. The shaft is bored with a hole for grease. This ends with a radial hole to allow the grease to lubricate along the length of the shaft. The compound gear has a radial hole to feed grease out from the shaft to the outer bearing surface. I suspect that there might have been a piece of swarth in the grease hole on the shaft that jambed against the gear when I tried to remove it. I managed to line up the grease hole in the compound gearset with the hole in the shaft and inserted an allen key. This seemed to dislodge whatever the obstruction was.

With both the spindle and shaft removed, the headstock is empty. Now is a good time to clean it and the belt tunnel.
Attachments
IMG_0304.JPG
The empty headstock before cleaning.
IMG_0304.JPG (121.52 KiB) Viewed 8715 times
IMG_0302.JPG
The backgear shaft disassembled.
IMG_0302.JPG (81.89 KiB) Viewed 8715 times
IMG_0255.JPG
How it all looked before I removed everything.
IMG_0255.JPG (150.78 KiB) Viewed 8715 times
Regards

Dazz

Bogus105
Hardware/Software: Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 GBL and TSA-16 lathes, Klopp 300 metal shaper, RF_45-like chineese benchtop mill machine

Re: Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B - Back gear removal

Post by Bogus105 » Thu 19 Jul , 2012 19:30 pm

Did you consider removing headstock apart from the rest of the lathe? Is it bolted only with that 4 small cap screws??!! Are there any setpins or what? It looks pretty wierd compared to lathe's opinion as a strong, rigid and precision lathe. How it is aligned with the bed ways?
Last edited by Bogus105 on Sat 21 Jul , 2012 16:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Re: Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B - Back gear removal

Post by dazz » Fri 20 Jul , 2012 7:34 am

Hi
I never considered it necessary to remove the headstock on my lathe. My lathe has seen relatively little use. The purpose of the rebuild was to clean and lubricate.

Dazz
Regards

Dazz