Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B Apron Stripdown

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B Apron Stripdown

Post by dazz » Sat 30 Sep , 2006 11:50 am

Stripping down was fairly straight forward. I just started at one end and laid everything out in the order of removal.

The only tricky part was figuring out that one hole had four set screws to hold two shafts.

The lead screw handle disengaging bar is held between the apron and the bed and slides when it hits the stop on the bed to disengage the lead screw handle. It's important to know this when reassembling.
Attachments
IMG_0221.JPG
The lathe sans saddle. Note the support block at the right end of the lead screw / feedshaft has been removed to allow the saddle to be slid off the end of the bed.
IMG_0221.JPG (108.05 KiB) Viewed 23280 times
IMG_0156a.jpg
Apron, Upside down, before cleaning.
IMG_0156a.jpg (63.72 KiB) Viewed 23283 times
IMG_0158a.jpg
The apron and saddle up side down before stripping down.
IMG_0158a.jpg (134.97 KiB) Viewed 23283 times
IMG_0219.JPG
The saddle stripped and cleaned prior to reassembly. The saddle is held to the apron by two socket screws.
IMG_0219.JPG (84.57 KiB) Viewed 23283 times
Regards

Dazz

MacGregor

Re: Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B Apron Stripdown

Post by MacGregor » Fri 04 Jul , 2014 0:57 am

Hello! Just a quick question regarding removing the apron... How does the end bracket supporting the lead screw and power feed shaft come free of the lead screw? Do I need to remove the end retaining block from the lead screw or does it pass through whole? I think I am correct in assuming I do not have to draw the lead screw out of the gear box?
I am asking this because I need to investigate the power feed lever mechanism as it will not engage properly. Thanks.

By the way, I believe you are based in NZ? My missus & I spent 15 months on South Island a few years ago camping and working on dairy farms to pay our way... Bloody fantastic country! Great beer and great people too. Cheers!

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Re: Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B Apron Stripdown

Post by dazz » Fri 04 Jul , 2014 8:08 am

Hello

Remove the end support on the right end of the lathe bed and simply slide the saddle off the end of the bed.
I never removed the lead shaft/feed screw. I think that requires the gearbox to be disemboweled.

I have been to a lot of places on the planet, but I haven't found anywhere else that I would want to live than here.
Regards

Dazz