Viceroy TDS1/1GB Metric Cross Slide Nuts

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

john

Viceroy TDS1/1GB Metric Cross Slide Nuts

Post by john » Sat 21 Jan , 2012 18:21 pm

Hi, I have a Viceroy TDS1/1GB metric lathe. I am looking to renew the cross slide nuts to take out the play. They have 'metric' stamped on them, the thread is square in section as far as I can see and there are 4 threads to the centimeter. Is there anywhere in the UK where I can buy them at a sensible price? One firm did offer to make one at the cost of £100 +. As ever I am always prepared to do modifications if necessary. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I believe that Dazz gave some advice a few years ago but I can't find the post.
:?
JNP

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Viceroy TDS1/1GB Metric Cross Slide Nuts

Post by Pete. » Sun 22 Jan , 2012 0:56 am

John, the problem with the metric cross-slide nuts is that though they have a metric pitch they strangely used the same stock as the imperial screw so it has a 1/2" OD. The threadform is modified square section thread which I believe has 10 degree angle on the flanks. £100 would not be an unreasonable amount for someone to charge for making such an odd sized nut as a one-off.

My cross-slide nut was worn out so I made a new one from acetal following the thread I linked to previously which is linked again below.
I made my acetal nut then turned it round. After that I chucked up the brass nut that was worn out and bored out the thread to receive the acetal nut, then glued it the acetal in with superglue and pinned it in place also because acetal does not glue very well. It was a little tight to begin with but soon loosened off, and I've been using it for over a year now with no trace of any backlash.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=43645

To do the turning with the cross-slide nut removed I had to clamp up the cross-slide on the gibs and use the compound slide instead, turned round to 90-degrees so it acted like a cross-slide.

john

Re: Viceroy TDS1/1GB Metric Cross Slide Nuts

Post by john » Tue 24 Jan , 2012 14:28 pm

Hi Pete, Many thanks for your reply. I shall look into doing as you suggest when I get some spare time. Recently I ran some molten plastic, from a hot plastic glue gun, onto the thread to see what results I achieved. It released easily and could have been used except the material is rather softer than acetate and I think would have worn out fairly quickly. Thanks again .
:D
JNP