Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B - Emergency Stop Safety Foot Switch

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B - Emergency Stop Safety Foot Switch

Post by dazz » Sun 06 Jan , 2008 2:47 am

Hello

The original TDS lathe was fitted with a pneumatic foot switch. This was missing when I purchased my lathe. I have a healthy respect for a machine that is capable of doing serious bodily harm so I decided that the foot activated switch needed to be replaced. The "normal" on/off switches are on the base and not easy to find in a hurry. I am sure that there is no chance of getting original replacement parts so I made a new switch.

I wanted the new switch to look like it could have been factory fitted. I made the switch without any sharp edges that might damage footwear. The switch is low profile to avoid false stops. The results are shown below.

The new switch consists of a metal kick-bar which hides a micro-switch at each end. The switch is fitted within the aluminium extrusion that held the original pneumatic bladder. In the middle is a spring that keeps the bar away from the micro-switches. Kicking the switch at any point will result in one or both micro-switches opening and stop the lathe.

The photos show the switch in pieces and screwed to wood for testing. The gray colour is zinc primer. This needs to be aged for a while to chemically bind the zinc and steel. I will then paint it.
Attachments
IMG_1072.JPG
The switch installed on the lathe. I will paint the switch in a month or so.
IMG_1072.JPG (89.79 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
IMG_1071.JPG
The switch assembled for testing
IMG_1071.JPG (121.48 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
IMG_1070.JPG
The switch disassembled.
IMG_1070.JPG (121.76 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
Regards

Dazz