Denford Software & Machines

Denford Software & Machines

Welcome to the Denford CAD CAM CNC forum

Hint - Try the google search at the bottom of the page
It is currently Tue 24 Apr , 2018 21:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Denford Viceroy TDS 1/1 GBL Chuck Wanted
PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan , 2017 20:59 pm 

Hi, I just bought a really nice ex collage TDS 1/1 with hardly any wear, the problem is I am not familiar with this machine and it has come without a chuck, firstly can anyone advise where I might get a chuck for it and what types were fitted to it, as I understand it needs to be 1 1/2 x 8TPI

Post subject: Re: Denford Viceroy TDS 1/1 GBL Chuck Wanted
PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan , 2017 21:27 pm 
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

You can use any chuck that will fit a backplate. What you need is a back plate. The nose thread is indeed 1.5" 8TPI BSF, which is a 55 degree thread.

You could buy a backplate casting and have someone machine the register and cut a thread in it for you. Once you have the backplate done just buy yourself a suitable chuck to bolt to it.

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan , 2017 12:25 pm 
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Location: East Midlands, UK Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill
I've put a drawing of the thread and register in this thread.

Both the thread size / form and register diameter are apparently the same as Boxfords, and putting "chuck back plate viceroy boxford" into your search engine will show a variety of suppliers.

I've read that the tolerances of some items available can mean you have a sloppy fit at one extreme, or even an interference fit at the other - so it may be worth measuring the diameter of your register and then checking with prospective suppliers what tolerances their are machined-to.

Regarding chucks, there are many to choose from - which I would categorise as follows:
1) Cheap far-eastern (Chinese) imports - quite variable in quality, and can be over heavy with very thick jaws. Often require a complete dis-assembly, de-burr and clean to remove casting sand, grinding dust, etc - then re-assembly with fresh grease.
2) Mid-price eastern European (e.g. 'Bison') - generally better designs and quality 'out of the box'.
3) UK / US manufacture (e.g. Pratt Burnerd) - top notch, will last for ever, but expensive to buy new.
Used examples from categories 2 & 3 can be found (sometimes at very good prices) but beware of abused / worn out examples.

What part of the country are you in? We might be able to point you towards a local reputable supplier.

Andy

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan , 2017 15:24 pm 

Hi Andy, thanks for the info, I am in Leicester