Coil Wanted for Viceroy TDS/280/S

Anything to do with buying, selling or sourcing Denford machines, spares or software - please use sensibly!

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Alexander2
Hardware/Software: Viceroy 280 Synchro

Coil Wanted for Viceroy TDS/280/S

Post by Alexander2 » Wed 18 Nov , 2015 10:18 am

COIL WANTED.I have Viceroy TDS/280/S (Used for hobby of model engineering)
Date of Manufacture NOV/1984 Serial Number 32014/18/109
Motor is 1 1/8HP .82Kw, 3 PHASE, with an external inverter to run it off single phase. The machine has been in fairly regular use by me over the last 15 years with no problems.
It stopped when in use last week and on checking I found that the Coil in the solenoid that controls the forward speed has failed. Solenoid holds when set manually. Reverse is fine.
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a coil to fit (or the complete solenoid)?
Make is BENEDIKT & JAGER x018 ser No 042.
Thanks, Alex.

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Re: Coil Wanted for Viceroy TDS/280/S

Post by Andy B » Mon 07 Dec , 2015 8:55 am

Hi Alex,

I've only just found this post (don't look on here too often these days). Have you sourced a replacement yet?

I can't find any references on the web with 'x018'. But I do have some other contactors for Denford machines, and there may be one to suit.
Is it a standard DIN-rail fitting, or a flat back onto a mounting plate?
Can you post a photo? Or some dimensions?
What is the coil voltage?
I assume it is switching all 3 phases.

Andy
Last edited by Andy B on Tue 08 Dec , 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Mon 07 Dec , 2015 22:19 pm

The contactors are completely dismantle-able and the coils aren't potted so unless it's cooked the winding you should be able to find the break and solder it. I unwound a heap of turns off mine to make them work on 240v.

Alexander2

Post by Alexander2 » Tue 08 Dec , 2015 23:44 pm

Have just got back this evening from few days holiday and found the two replies. Will get more information and photographs over the next few days. Thanks for replies.

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Wed 30 Dec , 2015 18:58 pm

Pete. wrote:The contactors are completely dismantle-able and the coils aren't potted so unless it's cooked the winding you should be able to find the break and solder it. I unwound a heap of turns off mine to make them work on 240v.
Well, I went to see Alex's lathe today an it turns out that 2 contactor coils were open circuit (forward spindle & coolant).
One was easily fixed - the loose end was very obvious and easily soldered onto the terminal tag.

The other is proving rather harder to locate the break. Removed about 150 turns so far.
The tape was very hard to get off - cellulose thinners helped.

Pete - did you unwind completely and then rewind with thicker wire to run on 240V?
Any idea how many turns there are in total on a 440V coil?

Andy

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Wed 30 Dec , 2015 19:28 pm

I didn't count how many turns came off but I know it was a lot. MEasuring across the windings I started out with 30.11mm and stopped un-winding at 25.54mm.

I see no reason why you could wind the whole lot off then re-wind with the same wire. If you have taken off that many turns and it's still open-circuit I guess it's probably broken right at the start of winding perhaps even on the first turn.

Details here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1948

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Andy B » Wed 30 Dec , 2015 20:26 pm

Thanks for the link, Pete.
I'd forgotten that you'd posted those details.

The contactors on Alex's lathe are slightly different to yours - although they are still in two halves held together with a spring clip each side. They are Benedikt & Jager type K12.
His lathe has the electronic spindle brake - does yours?

Now back to looking for those broken ends again!

Andy

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Wed 30 Dec , 2015 20:31 pm

No, I have no brake but I wish it did!

Alexander2

Post by Alexander2 » Tue 26 Jan , 2016 21:11 pm

Many thanks to Andy B for all the effort put in to locate coils and install them. All this was way above my head.
Machine is now fully operational. Thanks again Andy. Alexander2. ( delay in posting this message was because of family bereavement)