Wanted - Maxon Motor for Tool Changer

Anything to do with buying, selling or sourcing Denford machines, spares or software - please use sensibly!

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

CarbonLighting
Hardware/Software: Denford Easiturn

Wanted - Maxon Motor for Tool Changer

Post by CarbonLighting » Sat 04 May , 2013 9:53 am

Hi All,
I'm looking for a Maxon motor & gearbox assembly for an Easiturn tool changer, I believe this motor might also have been used on the changers for other models. Diameter is 32mm and my one has the Maxon code 2332.912-12.151.050

Any help would be appreciated,

Kind Regards,
Duncan

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Wanted - Maxon Motor for Tool Changer

Post by Steve » Sat 04 May , 2013 10:08 am

Can you attach a photo? What's wrong with the one with the machine?

CarbonLighting

Post by CarbonLighting » Sat 04 May , 2013 10:38 am

Hi Steve,
Please see the picture attached, my one has suffered some mechanical damage! Its unfortunately snapped the motor shaft, the gearbox is probably ok though..

Thanks,
Duncan
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (92.15 KiB) Viewed 5672 times

markmaxonmotor

Post by markmaxonmotor » Wed 08 May , 2013 10:20 am

Hi there,

Perhaps I can help you? This motor is a special one, but you can order the like for like replacement A-max 26mm motor 110943. There are 8 left in Switzerland so will take 2-3 weeks to get to us in the UK or you can order with carriage for an extra £75. The gearbox does not look good to me! if you mount a new motor the old gear (if distorted) can lead to an early motor failure. We can supply you the standard gearbox, but the through hole pin will have to be done by yourselves and we would need to work out what the ratio is. Please look for any markings on the gear, measure just the body length and revolve the output shaft 1 rev and count the revs on the input side to give the ratio. If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to get in touch with me mark.gibbons@maxonmotor.com

Attached you will find the data for the standard motor 2332.912-12.256-200. The difference being that this has a ball bearing not a sleeve and it is not prepared for the gearbox with a pinion. You can see that the speed constant, continuous torque and torque constant are very similar.

The gear is a GS38 (spur gear). Please see attached gear page with the different ratios.

Cheers Mark
Attachments
GS38 gearbox.pdf
(53.76 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
2332 912 12 256 200 motor.pdf
(68.21 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
A-max 110943 replacement for 2332 912 12 256 200.pdf
(76.82 KiB) Downloaded 691 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 08 May , 2013 10:26 am

Thanks Mark for taking the time to post some useful info 8)

CarbonLighting

Post by CarbonLighting » Wed 08 May , 2013 10:43 am

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the info, that's fantastic! I managed to pick up a very cheap motor and gearbox on ebay, its a 24v versus the original 48v (912 winding) one. However the machine only outputs 24/12v to the motor so it should be fine voltage wise. The 24v motor I picked up has half the torque of the original motor at the rated voltage so hopefully it will be a good match.

When the tool changer is locked the machine applied -12v to the motor, for that reason there is a large 32mm diameter heatsink to keep the motor happy, unfortunately if I go to a different diameter such as the 26mm I'll need to source or machine a new heatsink.

I'll see how I get on with the ebay motor, and if that doesn't work out then I'll get in touch to place an order, the gearbox is a 60:1 from what I can read.

Kind Regards,
Duncan

markmaxonmotor

Post by markmaxonmotor » Wed 08 May , 2013 11:07 am

Hi Duncan,
If your motor does not cut it please feel free to drop me a line. We do still have people asking for these old motors, however often they require building from scratch and can take 10-12 weeks! We can look at alternatives in the 32mm size so that the heatsink can be reused. However the replacement motor will be no doubt more robust and give more torque/A than this 20 year old motor!

A 32mm replacement could be the A-max 32 15W 30V 236648. Please see attached. This will produce roughly the same speed and torque, but as it can handle more current it can deliver more torque in its continuous operating range (it will not be so overloaded and will last longer than the old one). This motor is not currently stocked and will take a few weeks to manufacture (6-7). The 24V model 236647 is stocked, but will run faster and pull more current for the same torque.

Mark