4th Axis / Indexer

Anything to do with buying, selling or sourcing Denford machines, spares or software - please use sensibly!

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

SimonRafferty
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Denford Cyclone P
EMCO PC Mill 100
Solidworks 2018
SimSolid

4th Axis / Indexer

Post by SimonRafferty » Tue 13 Dec , 2011 16:52 pm

I have an indexing head / 4th axis built out of a Myford Indexing head using a stepper motor. Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... XWeEWQryGc

It works pretty well and has been used successfully for gear cutting amongst other things. It is not completely free of backlash though the worm/wheel is adjustable. It only tended to chatter on deep / difficult cuts.

Although I was using it on a Bridgeport Interact 1 Mk2, it is small enough to fit on any of the Denford Mills - Nova Triac etc hence offering it here rather than eBay.

The most useful way I found to drive it was to use a relay to swap the step & direction pulses from the Y axis to the rotary axis. So you move Y until it is zeroed on the rotary axis, then energise the relay which then rotated the axis instead of moving Y - if that makes any sense?! doing it that way, again means it's easy to attach to a stock Denford machine even with the original 3 axis controller and just use a spare relay output for the changeover.

Open to offers as I'm just tripping up over it. The Indexer was about £200 originally (It was bought specifically for this. I still have all the original indexing wheels etc which will be included) and the chuck (included) was another £70 or so. Stepper motor was about £40 I'd like something in the region of £200 and I'll deliver it in the UK for free or abroad at cost.

Reason for sale? I bought a proper Bridgeport 4th axis which you need a crane to lift!

Si

STEVE_F
Hardware/Software: MicroRouter V4

Re: 4th Axis / Indexer

Post by STEVE_F » Wed 28 Dec , 2011 13:20 pm

Hi Simon,

Is the indexer still for sale ??

What is the chuck size ??

Regards

Steve

SimonRafferty
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Denford Cyclone P
EMCO PC Mill 100
Solidworks 2018
SimSolid

Post by SimonRafferty » Thu 29 Dec , 2011 12:45 pm

It is!

It's a 125mm HBM chuck. The back of the chuck is threaded to screw on to a Myford (and obviously the Indexer has a Myford thread sticking out)
Si

STEVE_F
Hardware/Software: MicroRouter V4

Post by STEVE_F » Sun 01 Jan , 2012 21:32 pm

Hi Simon,

I am interested in this indexer.

You can give me a call on 01706-830301

or

post your number and I will call you.

Regards

Steve